Enraged by a massive food shortage and repeated incidents of waste among the royalty, in the early days of the French Revolution, Paris' women marched on Versailles.
Listener mail is a couple of postcards, from listeners Michelle and Whitney.
Episode link: The Women's March on Versailles
- "1789 The Departure of the King." Chateau de Versailles. http://en.chateauversailles.fr/history/the-great-days/most-important-dates/1789-the-departure-of-the-king
- "Anne Robert Jacques Turgot." Chateau de Versailles. http://en.chateauversailles.fr/history/court-people/louis-xvi-time/anne-robert-jacques-turgot
- "Anne-Robert-Jacques Turgot." The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics. 2008. Library of Economics and Liberty. http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/bios/Turgot.html
- "Jacques Necker." Chateau de Versailles. http://en.chateauversailles.fr/history/court-people/louis-xvi-time/jacques-necker
- "Print of the King's Bodyguard and the Flanders Regiment Trampling the National Cockade Underfoot." Waddeson Manor. http://collection.waddesdon.org.uk/search.do?view=detail&page=1&id=43030&db=object
- "The National Constituent Assembly, 1789." The Fourth Annual British School of Bahrain Model United Nations. October 2016. https://www.britmun.org/wp-content/uploads/French-Assembly-Background-Guide.pdf
- Levy, Darline Gay, et al. "Women in Revolutionary Paris, 1789–1795." University of Illinois Press. 1979.
- Llewellyn, J. and S. Thompson. "Harvest Failures." Alpha History. http://alphahistory.com/frenchrevolution/harvest-failures/.
- Llewellyn, J. and S. Thompson. "The October March on Versailles." Alpha History. 2015. http://alphahistory.com/frenchrevolution/october-march-on-versailles/
- Pernoud, Georges and Sabine Flaissier. "The French Revolution." New York. Capricorn Books. 1970. Pages 61–66.
- Turgot. "Reflections on the Formation and Distribution of Wealth." London: Printed by E. Spragg, For J. Good, Bookseller, No. 159, New Bond Street; John Anderson, No. 62, Holborn Hill; and W. Richardson, Royal Exchange. 1793. Accessed online: http://socserv2.socsci.mcmaster.ca/~econ/ugcm/3ll3/turgot/reflecti