In the early 18th century, an engraver-turned-artist made his mark on the art world by producing satirical prints in series that commented on morality and society. And some of his work is used today as a teaching tool.
Here is the link to information about Hogarth's house that we mentioned in the episode: http://www.hounslow.info/arts-culture/historic-houses-museums/hogarth-house/
- Hogarth, William. “Masquerades and Operas.” British Museum online collection. http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=1417088&partId=1&subject=16778&page=4
- Rose, Mark. “Technology and Copyright in 1735: The Engraver's Act.” The Information Society. Vol. 21. Issue 1. 2005. http://www.tandfonline.com/action/showCitFormats?doi=10.1080%2F01972240590895928
- “A Rake’s Progress.” Sir John Soane Museum London. http://www.soane.org/collections-research/key-stories/rakes-progress
- “The Hogarth Murals.” Friends of the Great Hall and Archive of St. Bartholomew’s. http://www.bartsgreathall.com/index.php/the-great-hall/the-hogarth-murals
- The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica. “Sir James Thornhill.” Encyclopædia Britannica. October 18, 2015. https://www.britannica.com/biography/James-Thornhill
- Benenson, Susan Elizabeth. “William Hogarth.” Encyclopædia Britannica. March 20, 2017. https://www.britannica.com/biography/William-Hogarth
- “Tailpiece, or The Bathos.” The Met. http://metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/400265
- Small, Lisa. “William Hogarth’s Election series.” Brooklyn Museum. Nov. 7, 2012. https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/community/blogosphere/2012/11/07/william-hogarths-election-series/
- Bindman, David. “Hogarth and His Times: Serious Comedy.” University of California Press. 1997.
- “Hogarth.” Tate Museum. http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/exhibition/hogarth
- Hogarth, William. “The complete works of William Hogarth : in a series of one hundred and fifty steel engravings from the original pictures.” London Printing and Publishing Co. 1800. Accessed online: https://archive.org/details/completeworksofw00hoga
- Mount, Harry. “Hogarth, the father of the modern cartoon.” Telegraph. Nov. 1, 2014. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/11202643/Hogarth-the-father-of-the-modern-cartoon.html