After the Germans invaded France in 1940, an idea sprouted in the highest levels of Great Britain's leadership. From that idea, the Special Operations Executive was born. And in many ways, it changed the way wars were fought forever.
- McGlynn, M.B. “GORGOPOTAMOS VIADUCT.” Special Services in Greece. New Zealand Electronic Text Collection. Victoria University of Wellington Library. http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2-2Epi-c1-WH2-2Epi-j.html
- Worrall, Simon. “Inside the Daring Mission That Thwarted a Nazi Atomic Bomb.”National Geographic. June 5, 2016. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/06/winter-fortress-neal-bascomb-heroes-of-telemark-nazi-atomic-bomb-heavy-water/
- Addison, Paul. “The Road to 1945: British Politics and the Second World War.” Pimlico. 1994.
- Bascomb, Neil. “The Winter Fortress: The Epic Mission to Sabotage Hitler's Atomic Bomb.” Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 2016.
- Morris, Nigel. “The Special Operations Executive 1940 – 1946.” BBC. Feb. 17, 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwtwo/soe_01.shtml
- “Operation Gunnerside.” Atomic Heritage Foundation. July 28, 2017. https://www.atomicheritage.org/history-page-type/espionage
- “1943: The Heroes of Telemark.” Hydro. August 3, 2016. https://www.hydro.com/en/about-hydro/Our-history/1929---1945/1943-The-Heroes-of-Telemark/
- “Hitler’s Sunken Secret – Lake Tinn.” Promare. http://www.promare.org/archive/archive-norway/archive-norway-lake-tinn/
- Steinacher, Gerald. “The Special Operations Executive (SOE) in Austria, 1940-1945.” University of Nebraska-Lincoln Faculty Publications, Department of History. 2002. Special Operations Executive (SOE) in Austria, 1940-1945
- Lewis, Damien. “Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: How Churchill's Secret Warriors Set Europe Ablaze and Gave Birth to Modern Black Ops.” Quercus; Reprint edition. 2016.
- Seeger, J.R. “Learning From World War II Special Operations.” Studies in Intelligence. Vol 59, No. 4. (Extracts, December 2015.) https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/csi-studies/studies/vol-59-no-4/pdfs/Seeger-WII-Special-Ops.pdf
- Astley, Joan Bright. “The Inner Circle: A View of War at the Top.” Little, Brown. 1971.
- Tolppanen, Bradley. “Great Contemporaries: Frederick Lindemann (“The Prof”).” The Churchill Project. Hillsdale College. Feb. 17, 2016. https://winstonchurchill.hillsdale.edu/frederick-lindemann/