Thomas Cook and his son John Mason Cook were pioneers of the idea of a travel agency to manage tourist holidays. But Thomas Cook was initially motivated by his support of the temperance movement and his deeply held religious beliefs.
- Brendon, Piers. “Cook, Thomas.” Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Jan. 3, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1093/ref:odnb/6152
- Brendon, Piers. “Thomas Cook: 150 Years of Popular Tourism.” Secker & Warburg. 1991.
- Dennis, Juliet. “Thomas Cook to open a Cook’s Club and Casa Cook in Egypt’s El Gouna resort.” Travel Weekly. June 18, 2019. http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/335170/thomas-cook-to-open-a-cooks-club-and-casa-cook-in-egypts-el-gouna-resort
- Simmons, Jack. “Thomas Cook of Leicester.” Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society. https://www.le.ac.uk/lahs/downloads/CookSmPagesfromvolumeXLIX-3.pdf
- Austin, Simon. “Thomas Cook Airlines moves marketing team from London to Manchester.” Prolific North. June 24, 2019. https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news/digital-agency-news/2019/06/thomas-cook-airlines-moves-marketing-team-london-manchester
- “Thomas Cook History.” Thomas Cook Official Site. https://www.thomascook.com/thomas-cook-history/
- The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica. “Thomas Cook.” Encyclopedia Britannica. Nov. 18, 2018. https://www.britannica.com/biography/Thomas-Cook
- Horowitz, Julia. “Club Med's Chinese owner wants to buy Thomas Cook.” CNN. June 6, 2019. https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/10/business/thomas-cook-fosun-travel/index.html
- Kollewe, Julia. “Brexit chaos hits Thomas Cook as losses mount to £1.5bn.” The Guardian. May 16, 2019. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/16/thomas-cook-slumps-to-loss-as-brexit-chaos-hits-travel-plans
- Kollewe, Julia. “Thomas Cook in talks with Club Med owner to sell tour operator business.” The Guardian. June 10, 2019. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/10/thomas-cook-club-med-uk-china-fosun
- “Thomas Cook: the father of modern tourism – archive, 1958.” The Guardian. Nov. 22, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/nov/22/thomas-cook-the-father-of-modern-tourism-archive-1958