This episode was inspired by the TV series "Outlander." The Regulator War, aka the War of the Regulation, aka the Regulator Movement, was a North Carolina event which arose in response to unfair taxes, poor representation and corruption.
- Powell, William S. “Regulator Movement.” NCPedia. 2006. https://www.ncpedia.org/history/colonial/regulator-movement
- Watson, Alan D. "The origin of the Regulation in North Carolina." The Mississippi Quarterly, vol. 47, no. 4, 1994, p. 567+. General OneFile, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A16988870/GPS?u=som&sid=GPS&xid=9246de2b. Accessed 14 Jan. 2019.
- Selesky, Harold E. "Regulators." Encyclopedia of the American Revolution: Library of Military History, edited by Harold E. Selesky, vol. 2, Charles Scribner's Sons, 2006, pp. 976-977. U.S. History in Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/CX3454901329/GPS?u=som&sid=GPS&xid=d2c5a02e. Accessed 14 Jan. 2019.
- “William Tryon." Encyclopedia of World Biography, Gale, 1998. Global Issues in Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631006580/GPS?u=som&sid=GPS&xid=698aaa03. Accessed 14 Jan. 2019.
- Marshall, R. Jackson, III. “Great Wagon Road.” NCPedia. 2006. https://www.ncpedia.org/great-wagon-road
- Lee, Wayne E. "North Carolina, Mobilization in." Encyclopedia of the American Revolution: Library of Military History, edited by Harold E. Selesky, vol. 2, Charles Scribner's Sons, 2006, pp. 848-853. U.S. History in Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/CX3454901159/GPS?u=som&sid=GPS&xid=217bb1fe. Accessed 14 Jan. 2019.
- Spencer, John Bassett. “The Regulators of North Carolina (1765-1771).” Annual Report of the American Historical Association. 1895. Via Archive.org. https://archive.org/details/regulatorsofnortbass/page/n5
- Compton, Stephen C. “James Pugh," Regulator Sharpshooter: A Conundrum Unfolded.” The North Carolina Historical Review, Vol. 90, No. 2 (April 2013). Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/23523923
- Adams, George R. “The Carolina Regulators: A Note on Changing Interpretations.” The North Carolina Historical Review, Vol. 49, No. 4 (October, 1972). Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/23528980
- Whittenburg, James P. “Planters, Merchants, and Lawyers: Social Change and the Origins of the North Carolina Regulation.” The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 34, No. 2 (Apr., 1977). Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/1925314
- Watson, Alan D. “’A Great Number of Pore People Is a Relying on His Conduct & Politeness’: The County Clerk in Colonial North Carolina.” The North Carolina Historical Review, Vol. 85, No. 2 (APRIL 2008). Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/23523397
- Sadlier, Sarah. “Prelude to the American Revolution? The War of Regulation: A Revolutionary Reaction for Reform.” The History Teacher, Vol. 46, No. 1 (November 2012). Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/43264077
- Denson, Andrew C. “Diversity, Religion, and the North Carolina Regulators.” The North Carolina Historical Review, Vol. 72, No. 1 (JANUARY 1995). Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/23521869