Today we've got our live show from our recent East Coast tour, all about Anne Royall. She was a travel writer and a muckraking journalist way before Theodore Roosevelt coined that term, at a time when there were very few women doing either of those jobs.
Special thanks to The Arts at the Armory in Somerville, Massachusetts where we recorded this show.
- "Anne Newport Royall." Dictionary of American Biography, Charles Scribner's Sons, 1936. U.S. History in Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/BT2310004316/GPS?u=som&sid=GPS&xid=f28c151d. Accessed 7 Aug. 2018.
- "Mrs. Royal in trouble." Fayetteville Observer, 25 June 1829. Gale Power Search, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/GT3016265768/GPS?u=som&sid=GPS&xid=de38af92. Accessed 7 Aug. 2018.
- Beasley, Maurine. "Anne Royall, huntress with a quill." The Quill, May 1990, p. 32+. General OneFile, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A10437951/GPS?u=som&sid=GPS&xid=e1e7e1c1. Accessed 7 Aug. 2018.
- Biggers, Jeff. “Trials of a Scold: The Incredible True Story of Writer Anne Royall.” St. Martin’s Press, New York. 2017.
- Clapp, Elizabeth J. “’A Virago-Errant in Enchanted Armor?’: Anne Royall's 1829 Trial as a Common Scold.” Journal of the Early Republic, Vol. 23, No. 2 (Summer, 2003). Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/3125036
- Clapp, Elizabeth J. “Black Books and Southern Tours: Tone and Perspective in the Travel Writing of Mrs. Anne Royall.” The Yearbook of English Studies, Vol. 34, Nineteenth-Century Travel Writing. Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/3509484
- Clapp, Elizabeth J. “Notorious Woman: Anne Royall in Jacksonian America.” University of Virginia Press. 2016.
- Dever, Marissa. “To Duck the Scold: One of Anne Royall's Washington Incidents.” Boundary Stones. 4/20/2017. https://blogs.weta.org/boundarystones/2017/04/20/duck-scold-one-anne-royalls-washington-incidents
- Donoho, Seaton. “Stories and Memories of Washington – 1.” From The Brooklyn Magazine, Volume 5. 1886. Via Google Books. https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=6qfQAAAAMAAJ&rdid=book-6qfQAAAAMAAJ&rdot=1
- Dorre, Howard. “The Skinny on John Quincy Adams’s Skinny Dipping Interview.” Plodding through the Presidents. 2/28/2017. https://www.ploddingthroughthepresidents.com/2017/02/john-quincy-adams-skinny-dipping.html
- Earman, Cynthia. “An Uncommon Scold: Treasure-Talk Describes Life of Anne Royall.” Library of Congress. January 2000. http://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0001/royall.html
- Matthews, M.M. “Mrs. Anne Royall as an Observer of Dialect.” American Speech, Vol. 2, No. 4 (Jan., 1927). Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/452511
- Pension Application of William Royall W8566 Anne Royall VA. Transcribed and annotated by C. Leon Harris. Revised 25 Apr 2015. http://revwarapps.org/w8566.pdf
- Porter, Sarah Harvey. “The Life and Times of Ann Royall, 1769-1854.” Records of the Columbia Historical Society, Washington, D.C., Vol. 10 (1907), pp. 1-37. Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/40066954