We're picking up where we left off in the story of Sojourner Truth. Last time, we talked about her enslavement in the Hudson River Valley in New York, and how a religious vision after she was free led her to moving to New York City. Today, we’re picking up with another vision, which marked a huge shift in how she lived her life.
- Gage, Frances D. "Sojourner Truth." The African-American Experience, Primary Source Media, 1999. American Journey. U.S. History in Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/EJ2152000040/GPS?u=som&sid=GPS&xid=16fd69eb. Accessed 19 Dec. 2018.
- "Sojourner Truth." Notable Black American Women, Gale, 1992. U.S. History in Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1623000449/GPS?u=som&sid=GPS&xid=2fae209f. Accessed 19 Dec. 2018.
- "Sojourner Truth." Historic World Leaders, edited by Anne Commire, Gale, 1994. U.S. History in Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1616000581/GPS?u=som&sid=GPS&xid=c2fe88f1. Accessed 19 Dec. 2018.
- Samra, Matthew K. "Shadow and substance: the two narratives of Sojourner Truth." The Midwest Quarterly, vol. 38, no. 2, 1997, p. 158+. General OneFile, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A19109579/GPS?u=som&sid=GPS&xid=28ba2a3c. Accessed 19 Dec. 2018.
- Berry, Daina Ramey. “Black History Month: How Early Photographs Reveal the Indomitable Spirit of Abolitionist Sojourner Truth.” Biography. 2/5/2018. https://www.biography.com/news/sojourner-truth-black-history
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher. “Sojourner Truth, The Libyan Sibyl.” The Atlantic. April 1863. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1863/04/sojourner-truth-the-libyan-sibyl/308775/
- Women’s Rights National Historical Park. “Sojourner Truth.” National Parks Service. https://www.nps.gov/wori/learn/historyculture/sojourner-truth.htm
- Mabee, Carleton. “Sojourner Truth, Bold Prophet: Why Did She Never Learn to Read?.” Fenimore Art Musuem. Vol. 69, No. 1. January 1988. Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/23178487
- Terry, Esther et al. “Sojourner Truth: The Person behind the Libyan Sibyl.” The Massachusetts Review. Vol. 26, No. 2/3. Summer-Autumn 1985. Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/25089674
- Painter, Nell Irvin. “Representing Truth: Sojourner Truth's Knowing and Becoming Known.” The Journal of American History, Vol. 81, No. 2. September 1994. Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/2081168
- Truth, Sojourner and Olive Gilbert. “The Narrative of Sojourner Truth.” 1850.
- Washington, Margaret. “Sojourner Truth’s America.” University of Illinois Press. 2009.