All six of today’s topics are mass evacuations of children and youth because of a war or other unrest, and include Kindertransport, Operation Pedro Pan, and Operation Babylift.
- Allen Greg. “Children Of Cuba Remember Their Flight To America.” NPR. Weekend Edition Saturday. 11/19/2011. https://www.npr.org/2011/11/19/142534943/pedro-pan-childrens-life-altering-flight-from-cuba
- Allen, Kevin Minh. “Operation Babylift: An Adoptee’s Perspective.” The Humanist. May-June 2009.
- ANdersen, Maria. “Pedro Pan: A Children’s Exodus from Cuba.” Smithsonian Insider. 7/11/2017. https://insider.si.edu/2017/07/pedro-pan-childrens-exodus-cuba/
- Attebery, Clint. “From Havana To Montana: Cuban Refugee Children, Operation Pedro Pan, and the Cold WarCatholic Church.” Montana: The Magazine of Western History, Vol. 64, No. 1 (Spring 2014). Via JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/24419881
- Bradford, Anita Casavantes. “Remembering Pedro Pan: Childhood and Collective Memory Making in Havana and Miami,1960—2000.” Cuban Studies, No. 44 (2016), pp. 283-308. Via JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/44111920
- Curio, Claudio and Toby Axelrod. “’Invisible’ Children: The Selection and Integration Strategies of Relief Organizations.” Shofar. Vol. 23, No. 1, Special Issue: Kindertransporte 1938/39—Rescue andIntegration (Fall 2004). Via JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/42943758.
- Ford Library Museum. “Operation Babylift.” https://www.fordlibrarymuseum.gov/museum/exhibits/babylift/
- Hacker, Melissa and Ernest Goodman. “Kindertransport” Encyclopedia Britannica. March 21, 2018. https://www.britannica.com/event/Kindertransport
- Martin, Rachael. “Remembering The Doomed First Flight Of Operation Babylift.” NPR. Weekend Edition. 4/26/2015. https://www.npr.org/2015/04/26/402208267/remembering-the-doomed-first-flight-of-operation-babylift
- Oldfield, Sybil. “’It Is Usually She’: The Role of British Women in the Rescue and Care of the Kindertransport Kinder.” Shofar, Vol. 23, No. 1, Special Issue: Kindertransporte 1938/39—Rescue andIntegration (Fall 2004). Via JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/42943759
- Operation Pedro Pan Group. “The Cuban Children’s Exodus.” http://www.pedropan.org/category/history
- Prest, David. “Evacuees in World War Two - the True Story: Operation Pied Piper.” BBC. 2/17/2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/britain_wwtwo/evacuees_01.shtml
- Raunio, Ari. “Finnish war children of the Winter War.” Winter War Association. https://www.talvisota.fi/en/home-front/finnish-war-children-of-the-winter-war/
- Rodrigues, Jason. “Guernica at 80: Nearly 4,000 child refugees arrive in the UK – archive, 1937.” The Guardian. 5/23/2017. https://www.theguardian.com/world/from-the-archive-blog/2017/may/23/guernica-spain-war-refugees-80-1937-southampton
- Sahara, Ayako. “Theater of Rescue: Cultural Representations of U.S. Evacuation from Vietnam.” Journal of American & Canadian Studies; 2012, Issue 30, p55.
- Santavirta, Torsten. “How Large Are the Effects from Temporary Changes in Family Environment: Evidence from a Child-Evacuation Program During World War II.” American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, Vol. 4, No. 3 (July 2012), pp. 28-42. Via JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/23269729
- Suomen Akatemia (Academy of Finland). "Finnish children sent to Sweden to avoid war suffered more than those who stayed." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 2 April 2013. www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130402091136.htm
- The Kindertransport Association. “Kindertransport History.” http://www.kindertransport.org/history.htm
- the National Archives. “Kindertransport.” http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/education/resources/kindertransport
- Torres, Maria de los Angeles. “Operation Pedro Pan.” Cuba. 2012 Gale Cengage Learning.
- United States Holocaust Musuem. “Kindertransport, 1938-1940.” https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005260
- Walsh, Monsignor Bryan O. “Cuban Refugee Children.” Journal of Interamerican Studies and World Affairs, Vol. 13, No. 3/4 (Jul. - Oct.,1971). Via JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/174929
- Weber, Greta. “Cuba's 'Peter Pans' Remember Childhood Exodus.” National Geographic. 8/14/2015. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150814-cuba-operation-peter-pan-embassy-reopening-Castro/?beta=true
- Westland, Naomi. “The Gernika children who took refuge in Britain.” El Pais. 5/7/2012. https://elpais.com/elpais/2012/04/26/inenglish/1335442794_068867.html
- Zimmerman, Dwight Jon. “Operation Pied Piper: The Evacuation of English Children During World War II.” Defense Media Network. December 31, 2011. https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/operation-pied-piper-the-evacuation-of-english-children-during-world-war-ii/
- Engelmann, Larry. “World Airways’ Audacious Vietnam Baby Airlift.” HistoryNet. http://www.historynet.com/world-airways-audacious-vietnam-baby-airlift.htm
Topics in this Podcast: Spanish history, warfare, military history, Caribbean history, vietnam war, World War II, holocaust, 20th century, U.S. history, European history, British history, Basque history, cold war, Six Impossible Episodes