Several times over the past few years, we’ve done an episode on something from U.S. history, and afterward we’ve gotten notes from listeners about the same thing happening in Canada – although we’re starting with one that’s the reverse. Also, these
are mostly not happy stories – so we’re saving the most heroic one for last.
- Allain, Mathé. MANON LESCAUT ET SES CONSOEURS: WOMEN IN THE EARLY FRENCH PERIOD, 1700-1731. Proceedings of the Meeting of the French Colonial Historical Society Vol. 5. 1980. Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/42953164
- Baker, Vaughan B. “"Cherchez les Femmes": Some Glimpses of Women in Early Eighteenth-Century Louisiana.” Louisiana History: The Journal of the Louisiana Historical Association. Vol. 31, No. 1 (Winter, 1990). Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/4232766.
- Bonikowsky, Laura Neilson. "Laura Secord". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 15 June 2018, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/laura-secord. Accessed 21 November 2018.
- Canada's Digital Collections Program, Industry Canada. “Shelburne Riot.” http://blackloyalist.com/cdc/story/prejudice/riot.htm
- CBC. “A history of residential schools in Canada.” 5/16/2008. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/a-history-of-residential-schools-in-canada-1.702280
- CBC. “Aboriginal nutritional experiments had Ottawa's approval.” 6/30/2013. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/aboriginal-nutritional-experiments-had-ottawa-s-approval-1.1404390
- Chan, Arlene. "Chinese Immigration Act". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 20 June 2017, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/chinese-immigration-act. Accessed 21 November 2018.
- Dart, Christopher. “The Sixties Scoop Explained.” CBC. 11/19/2017. https://www.cbc.ca/cbcdocspov/features/the-sixties-scoop-explained
- Gagnon, Eric et al. “Royal Commission on Chinese Immigration, 1885.” Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21. https://pier21.ca/research/immigration-history/royal-commission-on-chinese-immigration-1885
- Gagnon, Eric et al. “The Chinese Immigration Act, 1885 (plus amendments: 1887, 1892, 1900, 1903).” Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21. https://pier21.ca/research/immigration-history/the-chinese-immigration-act-1885
- Government of Canada. “Laura Secord.” https://www.canada.ca/en/services/defence/caf/militaryhistory/wars-operations/1812/laura-secord.html
- Hanson, Eric. “Sixties Scoop.” Indigenous Foundations. First Nations and Indigenous Studies, University of British Columbia. https://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/sixties_scoop/
- Kennedy, Jo Myrtle. “Excerpt from the book ‘Dauphin Island AL: French Possession 1699-1763.” http://dauphinislandhistory.com/kennedy/n_kennedy33.htm
- Marshall, Tabitha. "Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement ". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 25 November 2016, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/indian-residential-schools-settlement-agreement. Accessed 21 November 2018.
- PBS. “David George.” Africans in America. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part2/2p61.html
- Robertson, Jesse . "The Shelburne Race Riots". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 26 July 2018, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/the-shelburne-race-riots. Accessed 21 November 2018.
- Robinson, Greg. "Internment of Japanese Canadians". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 11 July 2018, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/internment-of-japanese-canadians. Accessed 21 November 2018.
- Roy, Patricia E. "Internment in Canada". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 10 August 2018, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/internment. Accessed 21 November 2018.
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada. “Canada's residential schools : the final report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada.” 2015. http://publications.gc.ca/site/eng/9.807830/publication.html
- Van Dyk, Lindsay. “Shaping a Community: Black Refugees in Nova Scotia.” Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21. https://pier21.ca/research/immigration-history/shaping-a-community-black-refugees-in-nova-scotia-0
- Zug, Marcia. “Lonely Colonist Seeks Wife: The Forgotten History of America’s First Mail Order Brides.” Duke Journal of Gender Law & Policy. Vol. 28: 85. 2012. https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1236&context=djglp