The story of the H.L. Hunley really begins with the Union blockade of the Confederacy during the Civil War, which was ordered less than a week after the fall of Fort Sumter in South Carolina.
- Chaffin, Tom. " The H. L. Hunley: The Secret Hope of the Confederacy." Hill and Wang. 2/16/2010.
- Friends of the Hunley. https://hunley.org/
- Hicks, Brian. "One-way Mission of the H.L. Hunley." Naval History Magazine. Vol. 28, No. 1. https://www.usni.org/magazines/navalhistory/2014-01/one-way-mission-h-l-hunley
- Klein, Christopher. " The Hunley’s Daring Submarine Mission, 150 Years Ago." History.com. 2/17/2014. http://www.history.com/news/the-hunleys-daring-submarine-mission-150-years-ago
- Lance, Rachel M. et al. " Air blast injuries killed the crew of the submarine H.L. Hunley." PLOS One. 12(8): e0182244. 8/23/2017. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0182244