The Scopes Trial, aka the Monkey Trial, played out in Dayton, Tennessee, in the summer of 1925. It all stemmed from a state law prohibiting the teaching of evolution.
- ACLU. "State of Tennessee vs. Scopes." https://www.aclu.org/other/state-tennessee-v-scopes
- Adams, Noah. " Timeline: Remembering the Scopes Monkey Trial." All Things Considered. NPR. 7/5/2005. http://www.npr.org/2005/07/05/4723956/timeline-remembering-the-scopes-monkey-trial
- Bidwell, Allie. " Nearly 90 Years After Scopes, How Has the Evolution Debate Evolved?" US News and World Reports. 7/21/2014. https://www.usnews.com/news/slideshows/nearly-90-years-after-the-scopes-trial-how-has-the-evolution-debate-evolved?slide=11
- Broyles, Bettye J. "Rhea County." The Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture. 2/24/2001. http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entry.php?rec=1121
- Caudill, Edward et al. "The Scopes Trial: A Photographic History." The University of Tennessee Press. 2000.
- Cutlip, Kimbra. " The Scopes Trial Redefined Science Journalism and Shaped It to What It Is Today." Smithsonian Magazine. July 10, 2015. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/scopes-trial-redefined-science-journalism-shaped-it-what-it-is-today-180955881/#5HRk7YdUJ0y3OS4o.99
- Darwin, Charles. "The Descent of Man." Via Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/2300/pg2300-images.html
- Epperson v. Arkansas https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/393/97
- Hunter, George William. "A Civic Biology Presented in Problems." Via Project Gutenberg. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/39969/39969-h/39969-h.htm
- Menken, H.L. " Coverage of The Scopes Trial by H.L. Mencken." From The Baltimore Evening Sun, June - September 1925. Via Archive.org. https://archive.org/stream/CoverageOfTheScopesTrialByH.l.Mencken/ScopesTrialMencken.txt
- Pierce, Dan. "Austin Peay." The Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture." http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entry.php?rec=1047
- Shaprio, Adam R. "The Scopes Trial." Oxford Research Encyclopedias American History. http://americanhistory.oxfordre.com/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780199329175.001.0001/acrefore-9780199329175-e-79
- Smithsonian Institution Archives. "Unpublished Photographs from 1925 Tennessee vs. John Scopes "Monkey Trial" Found in Smithsonian Archives." http://siarchives.si.edu/research/scopes.html
- The Butler Act. Via National Center for Science Education. "https://ncse.com/files/pub/legal/Scopes/Butler_Act.pdf
- Webb, George E. "The Scopes Trial." The Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture. 12/25/2009. http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entry.php?rec=1179