Griswold is most commonly known as Edgar Allan Poe's rival, and for creating negative characterizations of Poe that have endured more than a century. But his life story beyond his connections to Poe is worthy of examination on its own.
- The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica. “Rufus Wilmot Griswold.” Encyclopædia Britannica. December 06, 2016. https://www.britannica.com/biography/Rufus-Wilmot-Griswold
- Bayless, Joy. “Rufus Wilmot Griswold: Poe’s Literary Executor.” Vanderbilt University Press. 1943.
- Emerson's Magazine and Putnam's Monthly, Volume 5. J.M. Emerson & Company. 1857. p. 529. Accessed online: https://books.google.com/books?id=FxDZAAAAMAAJ&dq=Emerson%27s+Magazine+and+Putnam%27s+Monthly,+October,+1857&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- Neu, J. “RUFUS WILMOT GRISWOLD.” Studies in English,(5), 101-165. 1925. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/20779363
- Griswold, Rufus W. “Passages from the correspondence and other papers of Rufus W. Griswold.” Cambridge, Mass. W.M. Griswold. 1898. https://archive.org/details/passagesfromcor02grisgoog
- Griswold, Rufus W. “The biographical annual: containing memoirs of eminent persons, recently deceased.” Linen and Fennell. New York. 1841. https://archive.org/details/biographicalannu00lcgris
- Griswold, Rufus W. “The Republican court : or, American society in the days of Washington.” D. Appleton and Co. 1856. https://archive.org/details/republicancourto00ingris
- Meyers, Jeffrey. “Edgar Allan Poe: His Life and Legacy.” Rowman & Littlefield. 2000.
- Mabbott, Thomas Ollive. “Reviewed Work: Rufus Wilmot Griswold, Poe's Literary Executor by Joy Bayless.” The New England Quarterly. Vol. 16, No. 4. December 1943. Pp. 670-672. http://www.jstor.org/stable/361685
- Hayes, Kevin J. “The Cambridge Companion to Edgar Allan Poe.” Cambridge University Press. 2002.
- Rorabaugh, W.J. “The Craft Apprentice: From Franklin to the Machine Age in America.” Oxford University Press. 1988.
- Hatvary, George Egon. “Horace Binney Wallace.” Ardent Media. 1977.
- Stange, Eric. “Edgar Allan Poe: Buried Alive.” PBS. October 30, 2017. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/edgar-allan-poe-buried-alive-about-the-film/8923/
- Silverman, Kenneth. “Edgar A. Poe: Mournful and Never-ending Remembrance.” Harper Perennial; (Reprint) 2008.