This was one of the worst disasters in Texas history, the worst school disaster in U.S. history, and it was a horrific tragedy that stemmed from a huge number of small decisions and moments.
As part of #trypod month, Tracy recommends Judge John Hodgman.
Our listener mail is from Nellie about our Ed Roberts episode.
- American Oil & Gas Historical Society. "New London School Explosion" http://aoghs.org/oil-almanac/new-london-texas-school-explosion/
- Dingus, Anne. "The New London School Explosion." Texas Monthly. 3/2001. http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-new-london-school-explosion/
- Vine, Katy. "'Oh My God! It's Our Children!" Texas Monthly. 3/2007. http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/oh-my-god-its-our-children/
- Handbook of Texas Online, Irvin M. May, Jr., "New London School Explosion," accessed February 27, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/yqn01
- NPR Staff. " 75 Years Later: The Day The Town School Exploded." Story Corps via Morning Edition. 4/6/2012. http://www.npr.org/2012/04/06/150063910/75-years-later-the-day-the-town-school-exploded
- Stowers, Carlton. "'Today, a Generation Died.'" Dallas Observer. 2/21/2002. http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/today-a-generation-died-6390526
- White, Joe L. "Columbus Marion 'Dad' Joiner and the East Texas Oil Boom." East Texas Historical Journal. Vol. 6, Issue 1. http://scholarworks.sfasu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1144&context=ethj
- "GAS IS CONCEDED CAUSE OF BLAST." Daily Boston Globe (1928-1960): 1. Mar 23 1937. ProQuest. Web. 27 Feb. 2017.
- "NO BLAME IS FIXED IN TEXAS DISASTER." New York Times (1923-Current file): 21. Mar 24 1937. ProQuest. Web. 27 Feb. 2017.
- Special to THE NEW,YORK TIMES. "Search for Texas School Victims Proceeds all Day Amid Sorrowing Throngs." New York Times (1923-Current file): 3. Mar 20 1937. ProQuest. Web. 27 Feb. 2017.