Lotte was interested in silhouettes and paper cutting from the time she was a child. And she developed that interest into animation, and created the first feature-length animated film in the 1920s.
Video: Lotte Reiniger makes a silhouette animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHhpAT1i2tc
- Boult, Adam. “Who is Lotte Reiniger? The pioneering animator who would have been 117 today.” The Telegraph. June 2, 2016. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/06/01/lotte-reiniger-the-pioneering-film-maker-whose-shadow-puppets-in/
- Honeycutt, Heidi. “Seeking Our Story: The Art of Pioneering Animator Lotte Reiniger.” IndieWire. Dec. 16, 2014. http://www.indiewire.com/2014/12/seeking-our-story-the-art-of-pioneering-animator-lotte-reiniger-205152/
- Hutchinson, Pamela. “Lotte Reiniger: animated film pioneer and standard-bearer for women.” The Guardian. June 2, 2016. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/02/lotte-reiniger-the-pioneer-of-silhouette-animation-google-doodle
- Kemp, Philip. “Reiniger, Lotte (1899-1981).” BFI Screen Online. http://www.screenonline.org.uk/people/id/528134/
- Liebenson, Donald/ “Dazzling Gem of Animation Rediscovered.” LA Times. Dec. 10, 2001. http://articles.latimes.com/2001/dec/10/entertainment/et-liebenson10
- Reiniger, Lotte. “Scissors Make Films.” Sight and Sound. Spring 1936.
- “Lotte Reiniger.” Women Film Pioneers Project. Columbia University Libraries/Information Services. https://wfpp.cdrs.columbia.edu/pioneer/lotte-reiniger/
- “The Adventures of Prince Achmed – Press Kit.” Milestone Pictures. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0150/7896/files/PrinceAchmedPressKitOptimized.pdf
- Evans, Noell K. Wolfgram. “Animators of Film and Television: Nineteen Artists, Writers, Producers and Others. McFarland. 2011.
- Grace, Whitney. “Lotte Reiniger: Pioneer of Film Animation.” McFarland. 2017.