James Whale created iconic films in the early half of the 20th century. He's one of the main reasons that Universal Pictures became synonymous with the horror genre. But his interests as a creator were far wider than creating gothic spook stories.
- Curtis, James. “James Whale: A New World of Gods and Monsters.” University of Minnesota Press. 1998.
- “James Whale.” Turner Classic Movies. http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/204821%7C78327/James-Whale/biography.html
- Rose, Lloyd. “James Whale, the Man With a Monster Career.” The Washington Post. Nov. 29, 1998. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/movies/features/jameswhale.htm
- Whale, James. “The Old Dark House.” Cohen Film Collection. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06RuAO980U4
- Barson, Michael. “James Whale.” Encyclopedia Brittanica. https://www.britannica.com/biography/James-Whale