The Highland Clearances were a long, complicated, messy series of evictions in the Highlands and western Islands of Scotland, when tenant farmers were forced from their homes to make way for sheep pastures.
- James, Steve. “The flawed legacy of Scottish popular historian John Prebble.” 3/21/2001. https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2001/03/preb-m21.html
- Richards, Eric. “Debating the Highland Clearances.” Edinburgh University Press. 2007.
- Richards, Eric. “The Highland Clearances: People, Landlords and Rural Turmoil.” Birlinn Ltd. 2000.
- Noble, Ross. “The Cultural Impact of the Highland Clearances.” BBC. 2/17/2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/civil_war_revolution/scotland_clearances_01.shtml
- Macleod, Angus. “The Clan System in the Highlands and Islands.” Angus Macleod Archive. http://www.angusmacleodarchive.org.uk/view/index.php?path=%2F1.+History+of+Lewis%2F2.+Land+Ownership+and+Crofting%2F1.+The+Clan+System+in+the+Highlands+and+Islands.pdf