Hernandez v. Texas addressed civil rights for Mexican Americans, and was the first case to be argued before the Supreme Court by Mexican American attorneys. It set a new precedent in how the 14th Amendment was interpreted in terms of race and ethnicity.
If you'd like to listen to the Seeing White podcast that Tracy mentioned on the show, you can check it out here: http://podcast.cdsporch.org/category/seeing-white/
- Handbook of Texas Online, Cynthia E. Orozco, "Garcia, Gustavo C.," accessed September 15, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fga51.
- Handbook of Texas Online, Carole E. Christian, "Herrera, John J.," accessed September 15, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fhe63.
- Handbook of Texas Online, V. Carl Allsup, "Hernandez v. State of Texas," accessed September 15, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/jrh01.
- Handbook of Texas Online, V. Carl Allsup, "Felix Longoria Affair," accessed September 15, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/vef01.
- Oyez. "Hernandez v. Texas." https://www.oyez.org/cases/1940-1955/347us475
- Cornell Law School Legal Information Institute. "Hernandez v. State of Texas." https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/347/475
- State Bar of Texas. "Hernandez v. Texas." Oyez, Oyez, Oh Yay! https://www.texasbar.com/civics/High%20School%20cases/hernandez-v-texas.html
- Justia U.S. Supreme Court. "Hernandez v. Texas." https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/347/475/case.html
- Johnson, Kevin R. "Hernandez v. Texas: Legacies of Justice and Injustice." https://www.law.uh.edu/hernandez50/KevinJohnson.pdf
- Lopez, Ian Haney and Michael A. Olivas. "Jim Crow, Mexican Americans and the Anti-Subordination Constitution: The Story of Hernandez v. Texas." Race Law Stories. Foundation Press. https://www.law.berkeley.edu/php-programs/faculty/facultyPubsPDF.php?facID=301&pubID=32
- Bradshaw, Gilbert. "Who's Black, Who's Brown, and Who Cares?: A Legal Discussion of Hernandez v. Texas." Brigham Young University Education and Law Journal. Vol. 2007, no. 2. http://digitalcommons.law.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1231&context=elj
- Miller, Peter and Carlos Sandoval, directors. "A Class Apart." PBS American Experience. Camino Bluff Productions, Independent Television Service (ITVS), Latino Public Broadcasting. 2009.
- Transcript of Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. https://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=false&doc=26&page=transcript
- Olivas, Michael A, editor. "'Colored Men' and 'Hombres Aqui: Hernandez v. Texas and the Emergence of Mexican-American Lawyering." Arte Publico Press. 2006.