With a huge number of British Expeditionary Force troops stranded in one location, a massive evacuation operation was undertaken. While it was considered a success, the costs to the Allies were high.
- "The Evacuation at Dunkirk, 1940," EyeWitness to History, www.eyewitnesstohistory.com (2008). http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/dunkirk.htm
- BBC. "Invasion of Poland." http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwtwo/invasion_poland_01.shtml
- BBC Press Office. "Dunkirk: A Few Facts." http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2004/02_february/03/dunkirk_facts_figures.shtml
- Craig, Olga. "Wormhoudt: 'Every day I thank God we did our duty'." Telegraph. 5/23/2010. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/7753912/Wormhoudt-Every-day-I-thank-God-we-did-our-duty.html
- Farndale, Nigel. "The Miracle of Dunkirk." 5/14/2010. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/7724309/The-miracle-of-Dunkirk.html
- Sebag-Montefiore, Hugh. "Dunkirk: Fight to the Last Man." Harvard University Press. 2006.
- Sheffield, Gary. "The Fall of France." BBC History. 3/30/2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwtwo/fall_france_01.shtml
- The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica. "Dunkirk Evacuation." Encyclopedia Britannica. 6/7/2017. https://www.britannica.com/event/Dunkirk-evacuation
- Thompson, Julian, Major General. "Dunkirk: Retreat to Victory." Arcade Publishing. New York. 2008.
- Wilson, Patrick. "Dunkirk: Victory or Defeat?" History Today. Issue 37. September 2000. http://www.historytoday.com/patrick-wilson/dunkirk-victory-or-defeat