Last time, we talked about the many reasons Virginia colonists were frustrated by the 1670s, including the price of tobacco, taxation, and disparities between the richest colonists and everyone else. But another issue actually sparked the rebellion.
- Wolfe, Brendan and Martha McCartney. “Indentured Servants in Colonial Virginia.” Encyclopedia Virginia. 12/8/2011. https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/indentured_servants_in_colonial_virginia#start_entry
- Berlin, Ira. “Interview with Ira Berlin: Edited Transcript.” From Race – The Power of an Illusion. PBS. https://www.pbs.org/race/000_About/002_04-background-02-08.htm
- McCulley, Susan. “Bacon's Rebellion.” National Park Service. Last updated 2/26/2015. https://www.nps.gov/jame/learn/historyculture/bacons-rebellion.htm
- Mintz, S., & McNeil, S.. “Slavery Takes Root in Colonial Virginia.” Digital History. http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/disp_textbook.cfm?smtID=2&psid=3576
- Beverly, Robert. “Robert Beverley On Bacon's Rebellion 1704.” American History from Revolution to Reconstruction and Beyond. University of Groningen. http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/documents/1701-1750/robert-beverley-on-bacons-rebellion-1704.php
- Library of Congress. “Slavery and Indentured Servants.” https://memory.loc.gov/ammem/awhhtml/awlaw3/slavery.html
- Berkely, William. “Governor William Berkely on Bacon's Rebellion 19 May 1676.” American History from Revolution to Reconstruction and Beyond. University of Groningen. http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/documents/1651-1700/governor-william-berkely-on-bacons-rebellion-19-may-1676.php
- “Bacon's Rebellion in Virginia in the years 1675 & 1676.” Virginia Museum of History and Culture. https://www.virginiahistory.org/node/2292
- Billings, W. M., & the Dictionary of Virginia Biography. Sir William Berkeley (1605–1677). (2014, February 17). In Encyclopedia Virginia. Retrieved from http://www.EncyclopediaVirginia.org/Berkeley_Sir_William_1605-1677.
- Tarter, Brent. “Bacon’s Rebellion, the Grievances of the People, and the Political Culture of Seventeenth-Century Virginia.” Virginia Magazine of History & Biography, vol. 119, no. 1, Jan. 2011, p. 1. EBSCOhost, evergreen.noblenet.org/cgi-bin/ezproxy/memberlogin.cgi?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&AuthType=ip&db=f5h&AN=59148881&scope=site.
- Beverley, Robert. “On Bacon’s Rebellion.” On Bacon’s Rebellion (Beverley), Aug. 2017, p. 1. EBSCOhost, evergreen.noblenet.org/cgi-bin/ezproxy/memberlogin.cgi?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&AuthType=ip&db=f5h&AN=21212841&scope=site.
- "Bacon's Rebellion." Global Events: Milestone Events Throughout History, edited by Jennifer Stock, vol. 6: North America, Gale, 2014, pp. 35-37. Global Issues in Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/CX3728000848/GPS?u=mlin_n_melpub&sid=GPS&xid=17269e64. Accessed 27 Mar. 2019.
- Kinney, Adam F. "The tribe, the empire, and the nation: enforceability of pre-revolutionary treaties with Native American tribes." Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law, Fall 2007, p. 897+. Business Collection, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A189050557/GPS?u=mlin_n_melpub&sid=GPS&xid=176ba48c. Accessed 27 Mar. 2019.
- Schmidt, Ethan A. "Cockacoeske, Weroansqua of the Pamunkeys, and Indian resistance in seventeenth-century Virginia." The American Indian Quarterly, vol. 36, no. 3, 2012, p. 288+. U.S. History in Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A306597312/GPS?u=mlin_n_melpub&sid=GPS&xid=00ba39b0. Accessed 27 Mar. 2019.
- Westbury, Susan. “Theatre and Power in Bacon’s Rebellion: Virginia, 1676–77.” Seventeenth Century . Spring2004, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p69-86. 86p.
- Rice, James D. “Bacon’s Rebellion in Indian Country.” The Journal of American History. December 2014.
- Mathews, Thomas. “The Beginning, Progress, and Conclusion of Bacon's Rebellion in Virginia, In the Years 1675 and 1676.” 7/13/1705. Via Library of Congress. https://www.loc.gov/collections/thomas-jefferson-papers/articles-and-essays/virginia-records-1606-to-1737/beginning-progress-and-conclusion-of-bacons-rebellion/
- Shefveland, K. Indian Enslavement in Virginia. (2016, April 7). In Encyclopedia Virginia. Retrieved from http://www.EncyclopediaVirginia.org/Indian_Enslavement_in_Virginia.