For a long time Bacon’s Rebellion was primarily interpreted as a precursor to the Revolutionary War, with patriotic colonists rising up against the tyranny of the British colonial government. But there are a lot more moving parts than that. This first part sets the scene and establishes the context of the rebellion.
- Wolfe, Brendan and Martha McCartney. “Indentured Servants in Colonial Virginia.” Encyclopedia Virginia. 12/8/2011. https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/indentured_servants_in_colonial_virginia#start_entry
- Berlin, Ira. “Interview with Ira Berlin: Edited Transcript.” From Race – The Power of an Illusion. PBS. https://www.pbs.org/race/000_About/002_04-background-02-08.htm
- McCulley, Susan. “Bacon's Rebellion.” National Park Service. Last updated 2/26/2015. https://www.nps.gov/jame/learn/historyculture/bacons-rebellion.htm
- Mintz, S., & McNeil, S.. “Slavery Takes Root in Colonial Virginia.” Digital History. http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/disp_textbook.cfm?smtID=2&psid=3576
- Beverly, Robert. “Robert Beverley On Bacon's Rebellion 1704.” American History from Revolution to Reconstruction and Beyond. University of Groningen. http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/documents/1701-1750/robert-beverley-on-bacons-rebellion-1704.php
- Library of Congress. “Slavery and Indentured Servants.” https://memory.loc.gov/ammem/awhhtml/awlaw3/slavery.html
- Berkely, William. “Governor William Berkely on Bacon's Rebellion 19 May 1676.” American History from Revolution to Reconstruction and Beyond. University of Groningen. http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/documents/1651-1700/governor-william-berkely-on-bacons-rebellion-19-may-1676.php
- “Bacon's Rebellion in Virginia in the years 1675 & 1676.” Virginia Museum of History and Culture. https://www.virginiahistory.org/node/2292
- Billings, W. M., & the Dictionary of Virginia Biography. Sir William Berkeley (1605–1677). (2014, February 17). In Encyclopedia Virginia. Retrieved from http://www.EncyclopediaVirginia.org/Berkeley_Sir_William_1605-1677.
- Tarter, Brent. “Bacon’s Rebellion, the Grievances of the People, and the Political Culture of Seventeenth-Century Virginia.” Virginia Magazine of History & Biography, vol. 119, no. 1, Jan. 2011, p. 1. EBSCOhost, evergreen.noblenet.org/cgi-bin/ezproxy/memberlogin.cgi?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&AuthType=ip&db=f5h&AN=59148881&scope=site.
- Beverley, Robert. “On Bacon’s Rebellion.” On Bacon’s Rebellion (Beverley), Aug. 2017, p. 1. EBSCOhost, evergreen.noblenet.org/cgi-bin/ezproxy/memberlogin.cgi?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&AuthType=ip&db=f5h&AN=21212841&scope=site.
- "Bacon's Rebellion." Global Events: Milestone Events Throughout History, edited by Jennifer Stock, vol. 6: North America, Gale, 2014, pp. 35-37. Global Issues in Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/CX3728000848/GPS?u=mlin_n_melpub&sid=GPS&xid=17269e64. Accessed 27 Mar. 2019.
- Kinney, Adam F. "The tribe, the empire, and the nation: enforceability of pre-revolutionary treaties with Native American tribes." Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law, Fall 2007, p. 897+. Business Collection, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A189050557/GPS?u=mlin_n_melpub&sid=GPS&xid=176ba48c. Accessed 27 Mar. 2019.
- Schmidt, Ethan A. "Cockacoeske, Weroansqua of the Pamunkeys, and Indian resistance in seventeenth-century Virginia." The American Indian Quarterly, vol. 36, no. 3, 2012, p. 288+. U.S. History in Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A306597312/GPS?u=mlin_n_melpub&sid=GPS&xid=00ba39b0. Accessed 27 Mar. 2019.
- Westbury, Susan. “Theatre and Power in Bacon’s Rebellion: Virginia, 1676–77.” Seventeenth Century . Spring2004, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p69-86. 86p.
- Rice, James D. “Bacon’s Rebellion in Indian Country.” The Journal of American History. December 2014.
- Mathews, Thomas. “The Beginning, Progress, and Conclusion of Bacon's Rebellion in Virginia, In the Years 1675 and 1676.” 7/13/1705. Via Library of Congress. https://www.loc.gov/collections/thomas-jefferson-papers/articles-and-essays/virginia-records-1606-to-1737/beginning-progress-and-conclusion-of-bacons-rebellion/
- Shefveland, K. Indian Enslavement in Virginia. (2016, April 7). In Encyclopedia Virginia. Retrieved from http://www.EncyclopediaVirginia.org/Indian_Enslavement_in_Virginia.