Australian Kellerman gets a lot of the credit for developing the women's one-piece bathing suit. But she was also a competitive swimmer, as well as a vaudeville and film star who designed her own mermaid costumes.
Here are her costumes that we talked about in the episode: https://collection.maas.museum/search?q=Annette_Kellerman+Costume
- "ANNETTE KELLERMAN SAYS GIRLS IN SHORTS MUST LOOK TO SHAPES." Daily Boston Globe (1928-1960): 7. Jun 25 1935. ProQuest. Web. 25 May 2017.
- "ANNETTE KELLERMAN STILL DRAWS CROWD." Daily Boston Globe (1928-1960): 1. Feb 07 1937. ProQuest. Web. 25 May 2017 .
- Annette Kellerman Aquatic Centre. "History." http://www.akac.com.au/history
- Australian Government. "Annette Kellerman – the modern swimmer for modern women." http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/annette-kellerman
- Barlow, Robert. "Some Unpublished Cole Porter Lyrics." The Yale University Library Gazette. Vol. 30 No. 1, 1955. Via JSTOR. http://proxy.bostonathenaeum.org:2071/stable/40857690
- Butkus, Clarice M. "Annette Kellerman." In Jane Gaines, Radha Vatsal, and Monica Dall’Asta, eds. Women Film Pioneers Project. Center for Digital Research and Scholarship. New York, NY: Columbia University Libraries, 2013. Web. September 27, 2013. <https://wfpp.cdrs.columbia.edu/pioneer/ccp-annette-kellerman/>
- By Wireless to THE NEW YORK TIMES. "BRITON WINS $5,000 BY CHANNEL SWIM." New York Times (1923-Current file): 19. Sep 18 1926. ProQuest. Web. 25 May 2017.
- Cuddon, Sarah, producer. "The Diving Venus." Falling Tre Productions. Presented by Kate Rew. First broadcast on 27th May 2011 BBC Radio 4. https://soundcloud.com/fallingtreeproductions/the-diving-venus
- Kellermann, Annette. " Physical Beauty, how to Keep it." George H. Doran Company, 1918. https://books.google.com/books?id=DLAyAQAAMAAJ&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- Kellermann, Annette. "How to Swim." George H. Doran Company. 1918.
- Mason, Paul. "Heroes of Swimming: Annette Kellerman." The Guardian. 3/8/2013. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-swimming-blog/2013/nov/08/heroes-swimming-annette-kellerman
- Woolacott, Angela. "Race and the Modern Exotic: Chapter 1." http://books.publishing.monash.edu/apps/bookworm/view/Race+and+the+Modern+Exotic%3A+Three+%E2%80%98Australian%E2%80%99+Women+on+Global+Display/173/OEBPS/c01.htm#ft47