At a time when many women sought husbands to ensure financial stability, Anne Lister was looking for a wife. She was also writing thousands of pages of diaries, including sections written in code about her relationships.
- Anderson, Olive. “The Anne Lister Papers.” History Workshop Journal, No. 40 (Autumn, 1995). Via JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/4289398
- Borthwick Institute for Archives. “The story of Anne Lister.” University of York. https://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/holdings/guides/research-guides/lgbt/anne-lister/
- Clark, Anna. “Anne Lister's Construction of Lesbian Identity.” Journal of the History of Sexuality, Vol. 7, No. 1 (Jul., 1996). Via JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/3840441
- Historic England. “Anne Lister of Shibden Hall.” https://historicengland.org.uk/research/inclusive-heritage/lgbtq-heritage-project/love-and-intimacy/anne-lister-and-shibden-hall/
- Historic England. “Same-sex Marriages.” https://historicengland.org.uk/research/inclusive-heritage/lgbtq-heritage-project/love-and-intimacy/same-sex-marriages/
- Hughes, Patricia, editor. “The Early Life of Miss Anne Lister and the Curious Tale of Miss Eliza Raine.” Hues Books. 2015.
- Liddington, Jill. “Anne Lister of Shibden Hall, Halifax (1791-1840): Her Diaries and the Historians.” History Workshop, No. 35 (Spring, 1993). Via JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/4289206
- Liddington, Jill. “Gender, Authority and Mining in an Industrial Landscape: Anne Lister 1791-1840.” History Workshop Journal, No. 42 (Autumn, 1996). Via JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/4289467
- Lister, Anne. “Anne Lister’s Secret Diary for 1817.” Edited by Patricia Hughes. 2015.
- Rictor Norton, "Anne Lister, The First Modern Lesbian", Lesbian History, 1 August 2003, updated 13 June 2008 http://rictornorton.co.uk/lister.htm
- Steidele, Angela. “Anne Lister and her travel in Georgia.” Public lecture. May 31, 2016. Via YouTube. Uploaded June 7, 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZZ1j1VYXTE
- Whitbread, Helena. “Anne Lister.” 2015. http://www.annelister.co.uk/
- Whitbread, Helena, editor. “I Know My Own Heart: The Diaries of Anne Lister 1791-1840.” New York University Press. 1988.