In the first part of this two-parter, we covered ballet’s origins and early evolution. We left off with the founding of the Academie Royale de Musique, and the ways Jean-Baptiste Lully worked to ensure that his academy had as much prestige as possible.
- Walker, Kathrine Sorley. “George Balanchine.” Encyclopædia Britannica. April 23, 2018. https://www.britannica.com/biography/George-Balanchine
- McConachie, Bruce, et al. “Theatre Histories: An Introduction.” Routledge. 2016.
- Smith, William. “Fifteenth-century Dance and Music: Treatises and Music.” Pendragon Press. 1995.
- The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica. “Balthazar de Beaujoyeulx.” Encyclopædia Britannica. January 08, 2017. https://www.britannica.com/biography/Balthazar-de-Beaujoyeulx
- Koegler, Horst. “Western dance.” Encyclopædia Britannica. April 09, 2014. https://www.britannica.com/art/Western-dance/The-20th-century
- Opera National de Paris. “History.” https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/artists/discover/the-paris-opera/history
- Kant, Marion and Ivor Guest. “Ballet.” Encyclopedia Britannica. Sept. 8, 2018. https://www.britannica.com/art/ballet
- Needham, Maureen. “Louis XIV and the Académie Royale De Danse, 1661: A Commentary and Translation.” Dance Chronicle, vol. 20, no. 2, 1997, pp. 173–190. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/1568065.
- Homans, Jennifer. “Apollo’s Angels: A History of Ballet.” Random House Trade Paperbacks. 2011.
- Lee, Carol. “Ballet in Western Culture: A History of its Origins and Evolution.” Routledge. 2002.
- Neville, Jennifer. “Dance, Spectacle, and the Body Politick, 1250-1750.” Indiana University Press. 2008.
- Mund, Heike. “What France’s Sun King Did for Art.” DW. Sept. 2, 2015. https://p.dw.com/p/1GPdq
- Blasis, Carlo, translated by R. Barton. “The code of Terpsichore. The art of dancing, comprising its theory and practice, and a history of its rise and progress, from the earliest times.” London. PRINTED FOR EDWARD BULL, HOLLES STREET. 1831. Accessed through Library of Congress: https://memory.loc.gov/music/musdi/text/251/pdf/251.pdf