Some aspects of the Cod Wars — a dispute between Iceland and the United Kingdom — sound almost comical. But aside from the traded insults and cat-and-mouse darting back and forth over a nautical boundary line, the Cod Wars had a real and devastating affect on the lives and livelihoods of the U.K.'s distant water fishing ports.
Thanks to Gemma and Steve, among other listeners, for requesting this one and moving it to the head of the line.
We have yet another amazing email about margarine, thanks to listener Mindie, who directed us to Tammie A. Hepps' story about her own family's involvement in margarine crime.
Episode link: The Cod Wars
- "Fisheries Dispute Between United Kingdom and Iceland: Draft White Paper."
- BBC News Magazine. "If cod is so scarce, why can I still buy it?" 10/18/2006. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6061872.stm
- Iceland Responsible Fisheries. "Icelandic Seafood Industry." http://www.responsiblefisheries.is/seafood-industry/
- Marine Management Organisation. "UK Sea Fisheries Statistics 2014." https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/462753/UK_Sea_Fisheries_Statistics_2014_-_online_version.pdf
- National Archives. "The Cabinet Papers 1915-1988: The Cod Wars" http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cabinetpapers/themes/cod-wars.htm
- Sigurdsson, Magnus Vidar, director. "Cod Wars." Via Storyville. BBC Four.
- TED Case Studies. "The Cod War." American University. http://www1.american.edu/ted/icefish.htm
- Tubney Charitable Trust. "The Marine Socio-Economics Project (MSEP)." https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjV89TerJnPAhVGdz4KHYHTAMkQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mseproject.net%2Fdata-sources%2Fdoc_download%2F122-8-fishing-and-uk-gdp&usg=AFQjCNFdZW2FXeLV1Cgn1nzz4ZM0eYAi3g&sig2=Mh2BbXs7bAbHMzCXS0psWA&bvm=bv.133178914,d.eWE
- UPH Staff. "'A Serious Joke:' Britain and Iceland Go to War." http://www.ultimatehistoryproject.com/cod-war-britain-and-iceland-go-to-war-over-fishing.html