A flood of listener requests to talk about the founding of the United States' national parks for the centennial of the U.S. National Park Service has yielded this week's podcasts. Rather than looking at the National Park Service as a whole - that turned out to be away too broad - we're looking at the history of one park in particular: Yosemite.
Our listener mail is from Lisa, who sent a postcard from Rome.
Episode link: Yosemite and James Hutchings, Pt. 1
- Huntley, Jen A. "The Making of Yosemite: James Mason Hutchings and the Origin of America's Most Popular National Park." University Press of Kansas. 2011.
- Huntley-Smith, Jen. A. "'Such Is Change in California': James Mason Hutchings and the Print Metropolis, 1854-1862." American Antiquarian Society. 2005. http://www.americanantiquarian.org/proceedings/44539582.pdf
- Hutchings, James Mason. "Hutching's Illustrated California Magazine." Hutchings & Rosenfield. 1857. Accessed online: https://archive.org/details/hutchingsillust01unkngoog
- Hutchings, James Mason. "In the heart of the Sierras : the Yo Semite Valley, both historical and descriptive : and scenes by the way : big tree groves ... and other objects of interest : with tables of distances and altitudes, maps, etc." Yo Semite Valley : Pub. at the Old Cabin ; Oakland, Cal. : Pacific Press Pub. House. 1888. https://archive.org/details/inheartofsierras00hutc_0
- Hutchings, James Mason. "Scenes Of Wonder And Curiosity In California : Illustrated with over one hundred engravings. A tourist's guide to the Yo-Semite Valley." 1860. https://archive.org/details/ScenesOfWonderAndCuriosity
- Hutchings, James Mason. "The Miner's 10 Commandments." 1887. https://archive.org/details/minerstencommand03hutcrich
- Johnson-Dodds, Kimberly. "Early California Laws and Policies Related to the California Indians." California Research Bureau. September 2002. https://www.library.ca.gov/crb/02/14/02-014.pdf
- National Geographic. "Yosemite National Park." http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/national-parks/yosemite-national-park/#/bridal-veil-falls-sunrise-yosmite_92681_600x450.jpg
- National Park Service. "History and Culture."https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/historyculture/index.htm
- National Park Service. "Hunting for the Hutchings House." https://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/Hunting-for-the-Hutchings-House.htm
- National Park Service. "James and Elvira Hutchings." https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/historyculture/hutchings.htm
- National Park Service. "More on the Hutchings Women." https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/historyculture/hutchings-women.htm
- National Park Service. "Park Statistics." https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/nature/park-statistics.htm
- National Park Service. "Their Lifeways." https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/historyculture/their-lifeways.htm
- Poe, Marshall. "The Making of Yosemite (Interview with Jen A. Huntley)." New Book Network. April 20, 2012. http://newbooksnetwork.com/jen-huntley-the-making-of-yosemite-james-mason-hutchings-and-the-origins-of-americas-most-popular-national-park-up-of-kansas-2011/
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes and the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We're also on Tumblr and Pinterest.