The tale of the Red Ghost of Arizona combines supernatural rumor with U.S. military history. It starts in 1883, when two women in Eagle Creek spotted a strange beast and it trampled one of them to death. But that tragedy had an earlier precursor in military use of camels. Research on that idea in the U.S. started in 1836, but it wasn't implemented for nearly 20 years.
Our listener mail is from Allison, who writes for advice on historical clothing. Holly suggests Corsets and Crinolines, Costume In Detail and Laughing Moon Mercantile' s How to Build and Fit a Victorian Corset.
Episode link: The Red Ghost of Arizona and the U.S. Camel Corps
For more knowledge: How long can a camel go without water?
- 33rd Congress, 2nd Session. "A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation: U.S. Congressional Documents and Debates, 1774 - 1875." Page 639. http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llsl&fileName=010/llsl010.db&recNum=660
- "Arizona's Red Ghosts Phantom or Fact?" The St. Petersburg Evening Independent. Jan. 29, 1980. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=950&dat=19800129&id=G2hQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jFgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6576,3606157
- Earney, Ann. "The Camels are Coming." University of North Texas Libraries. The Portal to Texas History. 1977. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39375/m1/2/
- Froman, Robert. "The Red Ghost." American Heritage Magazine. Volume 12, Issue 3. April, 1961. http://www.americanheritage.com/content/red-ghost
- Lamm, Joanne. "HUMP, 2, 3, 4: Marching Into History With the U.S. Camel Corps." U.S. Army Military History Institute. April 16, 2009. http://www.army.mil/article/19778/hump234-marching-into-history-with-the-us-camel-corps/
- U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT. "California Explorers: Edward Fitzgerald Beale." http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/pdfs/needles_pdfs/brochures.Par.79254.File.dat/Beale.pdf
- Weisbrode, Kenneth. "The Short Life of the Camel Corps." New York Times. Dec. 27, 2012. http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/the-short-life-of-the-camel-corps/
- Woodbury, Chuck. "U.S. Camel Corps Remembered in Quartzsite, Arizona." Out West Newspaper. No. 18. 2003. http://www.outwestnewspaper.com/camels.html
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes and the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We're also on Tumblr and Pinterest.