The Phaistos Disk, found on Crete in the early 1900s, has puzzled researchers and stirred up controversy for decades. The small, two-sided disk is stamped with pictograms, shapes and a spiral line. People have put forth piles of theories about what all those designs mean over the years - but it could just be a hoax.
We have a pile of listener mail today from Perry, Penny and Liam, plus a correction. (Valerie Solanis did shoot Andy Warhol, but did not kill him.)
Episode link: The Phaistos Disc of Minoan Crete
- "Linear A and Linear B". Encyclopædia Britannica. 2015. Web. http://www.britannica.com/topic/Linear-A
- "History of Minoan Crete." Ancient-Greece.org. http://ancient-greece.org/history/minoan.html
- "Voice of Phaistos Disk." http://disk.aboutcrete.eu/
- Cartwright, mark. "Phaistos Disk." Ancient History Encyclopedia. June 28, 2012. http://www.ancient.eu/Phaistos_Disk/
- Haughton, Brian. "Hidden History: Lost Civilizations, Secret Knowledge and Ancient Mysteries." Career Press. Dec. 26, 2006. Accessed online: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=fSbRZunGbF4C&pg=PA115&dq=%22Luigi+Pernier%22+phaistos&as_brr=3&ei=YbmzSZqjNqTCMbbA1aIH&client=firefox-a&hl=en#v=onepage&q=%22Luigi%20Pernier%22%20phaistos&f=false
- Howard, Jacquelin. "Scientists Finally Crack the Code of the 'Phaistos Disk.'" Huffington Post. October 28, 2014. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/28/ancient-cd-rom-phaistos-disk-code_n_6055178.html
- Ngo, Robin. "Phaistos Disk Deciphered? Not Likely, Say Scholars." Bible History Daily. Oct. 30, 2014. http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/archaeology-today/phaistos-disk-deciphered/
- Owens, Gareth. "Decrypting the Phaistos Disk: Gareth Owens at TEDxHeraklion." TedX Talks. May 23, 2014. https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=18&v=6Chcplx3tZ8
- TEI of Crete - Daidalika. http://teicrete.gr/daidalika/index.html
- Tierney, John. "A Fake Ancient Disc?" New York Times - Tierney Lab. July 30, 2008. http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/30/a-fake-famous-disc/?_r=0
- Tierney, John. "Why not test the Phaistos Disc?" New York Times - Tierney Lab. Aug. 7, 2008. http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/07/why-not-test-the-phaistos-disc/
- Younger, John G. "Gareth Owens and His Decipherment of the Phaistos Disc." http://people.ku.edu/~jyounger/misc/Owens_response.pdf
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes and the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We're also on Tumblr and Pinterest.