On Sept. 1, 1923, a devastating earthquake obliterated Yokohama and much of Tokyo, Japan. But the earthquake was only the first wave of devastation. A fire followed, and because the number of evacuees far outpaced the capacity of the roads, many survivors of the quake died in the fire. More than 140,000 people lost their lives.
Episode link: The Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923
For more knowledge: How Earthquakes Work
- "Tokyo-Yokohama earthquake of 1923". Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica Online.
- "The Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923." http://www.greatkantoearthquake.com/earthquake.html
- Denawa, Mai. "The Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923." Brown University Library Center for Digital Scholarship. http://library.brown.edu/cds/kanto/denewa.html
- Encyclopædia Britannica Inc., 2014. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1421140/Tokyo-Yokohama-earthquake-of-1923
- Hammer, Joshua. "In Deadly Earthquake, Echoes of 1923." The New York Times. March 13, 2011. http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/in-deadly-earthquake-echoes-of-1923/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
- Hammer, Joshua. "The Great Japan Earthquake of 1923." Smithsonian Magazine. May 2011. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-great-japan-earthquake-of-1923-1764539/
- Israel, Brett. "Japan's Explosive Geology Explained." Livescience. March 14, 2011. http://www.livescience.com/30226-japan-tectonics-explosive-geology-ring-of-fire-110314.html
- Kengelbacher, August. "Great Kanto Earthquake 1923." Schauwecker's Guide to Japan. (Photos.) http://www.japan-guide.com/a/earthquake/
- Neff, Robert. "The Great Kanto Earthquake Massacre." OhmyNews. Sept. 29, 2006. http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?at_code=363496
- Reuters. "Factbox: Japan's Many Earthquakes." July 16, 2007. http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/07/16/us-quake-japan-idUST32929520070716
- Taylor, Alan. "1923 Kanto Earthquake: Echoes From Japan's Past." The Atlantic. March 15, 2011. http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/03/1923-kanto-earthquake-echoes-from-japans-past/100025/
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government. "History of Tokyo." http://www.metro.tokyo.jp/ENGLISH/PROFILE/overview01.htm
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes and the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We're also on Tumblr and Pinterest.