Listener Joseph asked us to talk about the Catalpa a while back. That sounds like the story of a ship, but it's really the story of a jailbreak - an international jailbreak involving Irish prisoners, an Australian prison and an American party of rescuers. We also recap a little of the context for how the prisoners in question wound up being convicted of treason - it's material we cover in more detail in our two-part episode on the Irish Potato Famine (parts one and two). And, we talk more about how Britain came to use Australia as a penal colony, which is another part of this story, in our episode on the Lady Juliana.
Here's one version of the ballad we talk about in the episode.
Episode link: https://www.missedinhistory.com/podcasts/the-catalpa-and-the-fremantle-six/
- Fremantle Prison. "Escape! Fremantle to Freedom: Overview." 2007. http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/linkableblob/4850472/data/escape-fremantle-to-freedom-data.pdf
- Allam, Lorena. "The Catalpa Escape." Hindsight. Produced by Lyn Gallacher. 7/28/2013. http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/hindsight/the-catalpa/4806338
- Reid, Richard. "Object Biography: A Noble Whale Ship and Commander - The Catalpa Rescue, April 1876." National Museum of Australia. http://www.nma.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/2553/NMA_Catalpa.pdf
- King, Gilbert. "The Most Audacious Australian Prison Break of 1876." Smithsonian.com. 3/12/2013. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-most-audacious-australian-prison-break-of-1876-1804085/#BvRqFtpQqHhdXEqq.99
- Secrets of the Dead. "Irish Escape." PBS. 5/15/2007. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/irish-escape/128/
- Stevens, Peter F. "The Voyage of the Catalpa: A Perilous Journey and Six Irish Rebels' Escape to Freedom." New York. Carol & Graf. 2002.
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes and the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We're also on Tumblr and Pinterest.