Coincidentally, I'm writing up the show notes for our episode on the Boston massacre while sitting in Boston, Mass. And, yesterday a Boston native informed me that the distinctive un-massacre-y-ness of the Boston massacre is a well-known fact among people who have grown up here. Not so for many others - everyone in my completely unscientific poll in which I asked, "How many people do you think died in the Boston Massacre?" guessed a number of twenty or more. The reality was much smaller, and the massacre moniker exists today because of some very determined colonial spin doctoring.
For more knowledge: How the Boston Tea Party Worked
Episode link: The Boston Massacre
- "benefit of clergy." Encyclopaedia Britannica. Encyclopaedia Britannica Online Academic Edition. Encyclopædia Britannica Inc., 2013. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/121291/benefit-of-clergy
- "Boston Massacre." 2013. The History Channel website. Nov 11 2013, 3:20 http://www.history.com/topics/boston-massacre.
- American Civil Liberties Union. "John Adams and the Boston Massacre." 5/8/2008. https://www.aclu.org/national-security/john-adams-and-boston-massacre
- Independence Hall Association. "Townshend Revenue Act." http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/related/townshend.htm
- Library of Congress. "History of the Boston Massacre." http://www.loc.gov/law/help/rare-books/pdf/john_adams_1870_history.pdf
- Library of Congress. "John Adams and the Boston Massacre Trial of 1770." http://www.loc.gov/law/help/rare-books/john_adams.php
- Linder, Doug. "The Boston Massacre Trials: An Account." 2001. http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/bostonmassacre/bostonmassacre.html
- Rex v. Weems, et al. http://www.loc.gov/law/help/rare-books/pdf/john_adams_1824_version.pdf
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes, Stitcher or the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We're also on Tumblr and Pinterest.