Even if you've never studied the Ottoman Empire, this name may ring a bell: He was part of Katie and Sarah's episode "The Cinderella of the Harem." Suleiman (also spelled Suleyman) was a 16th-century Ottoman sultan who, in the course of his career, was a poet, a goldsmith, a military reformer and a conqueror. One of his many notable deeds was an attempted and ill-fated siege of Vienna, which is the primary focus of today's episode.
Our listener mail is from Ryan, who writes about the Great Kanto Earthquake. We also have a postcard we believe to be from Debbie, but the postcard was a little mangled in transit.
For more knowledge: Were people vying to become slaves in the Ottoman Empire?
Episode link: Suleiman the Magnificent and the Siege of Vienna
- Atil, Esin. "The Golden Age of Ottoman Art." Aramaco World Magazine. Volume 38, No. 4. July/August 1987. Accessed at: http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/198704/the.golden.age.of.ottoman.art.htm
- Halman, Talat S. "Suleyman the Magnificent - Poet." http://web.archive.org/web/20060309091926/http://www.byegm.gov.tr/yayinlarimiz/NEWSPOT/1999/JulyAug/N6.htm
- Lybyer, Albert Howe. "Süleyman I, Sultan of the Turks, 1494 or 5-1566." Cambridge : Harvard University Press. https://archive.org/details/governmentofotto00lyby Ozgen, Korkut. "The Sultans: Suleyman I." TheOttomans.org. http://www.theottomans.org/english/family/suleyman1.asp
- Sansal, Burak. "Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent." All About Turkey. http://www.allaboutturkey.com/suleyman.htm
- "Siege of Vienna." 2014. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/628125/Siege-of-Vienna
- "Selim I." 2014. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/533559/Selim-I
- "Suleyman I." 2014. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/572395/Suleyman-I
- "Tughra of Suleiman the Magnificent." The British Museum. http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/me/t/tughra_of_suleiman.aspx
- Yalman, Suzan. "The Age of Süleyman "the Magnificent" (r. 1520-1566)" Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History. The Metropolitan Museum of Art. http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/suly/hd_suly.htm
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes and the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We're also on Tumblr and Pinterest.