We haven't really hidden the fact that we get a lot of listener requests. The ones we get repeatedly usually rise to the top a little faster (with "the top" really meaning "out of the pile of more requests than we could ever reasonably do, since we've gotten 500+ and we only do 104 episodes a year").
But a few rise to the top and then fall straight down again, because it turns out there's just not enough information for us to be able to devote a whole show to them. Today, we talk about six of those: Stagecoach Mary, the London Beer Flood, Edward Mordrake, Robert the Haunted (or Enchanted) Doll, the Lost Army of Cambyses and Julie D'Aubigny.
(We've gotten at least five Julie D'Aubigny requests just since recording this.)
Our episode link is to come - I wrote this post in advance of being out on vacation, and the link didn't exist yet. In the meantime, you can find the show on our podcast page, our rss feed, iTunes and Stitcher.
- African American Registry. "Stagecoach Mary." http://www.aaregistry.org/historic_events/view/mary-fields-rough-exterior-giving-heart
- Gould, George Milbry and Walter L. Pyle. "Curiosities of Medicine." 1896. Via archive.org. https://archive.org/stream/anomaliesandcur00pylegoog/anomaliesandcur00pylegoog_djvu.txt
- Herodotus. "Herodotus on Cambyses." Via Andre Dollinger. "http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/herodotus/cambyses.htm
- Kelly, Kate. "Mary Fields (ca. 1832-1914): First African-American Woman to Carry the Mail." America Comes Alive. http://americacomesalive.com/2014/01/05/mary-fields-ca-1832-1914-known-as-stagecoach-mary/#.VLaNFHtVA5w
- Key West Art and Historical Society. "Robert the Doll." http://www.kwahs.org/exhibitions/online-exhibitions/robert-the-doll/
- KHTS AM-1220. "Stagecoach Mary Interview with Joyce Fitzpatrick." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHQtTU9tiJI#t=648
- Klein, Christopher. "The London Beer Flood, 200 Years Ago." History.com. www.history.com/news/the-london-beer-flood-200-years-ago
- Lorenzi, Rossella. "Vanished Persian Army Found in Desert?" Discovery News. 11/27/2012. http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/cambyses-army-remains-sahara.htm
- Malcolm, Robert. "Odd Lives." Reprinted from Curiosities of Biography, or Memoirs of Wonderful and Extraordinary Characters," c. 1845 in New England Review. Vol. 27, No. 2. 2006. Via JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/40244836
- The Artist House. "Robert the Doll." http://www.artisthousekeywest.com/about/robert-the-doll/
- Tingle, Rory. "What really happened in the London Beer Flood 200 years ago?" The Independent. 10/17/2014. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/what-really-happened-in-the-london-beer-flood-200-years-ago-9796096.html
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes and the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We're also on Tumblr and Pinterest.