For our C2E2 live show, we wanted to talk about something that was connected to the Chicago area. Chicago has come up rather frequently in past episodes - there's plenty to draw from - and in the end, we settled on a brief history of pizza. We trace pizza from its origins in Naples to its proliferation in the United States.
ENORMOUS THANKS to our producer Noel for smoothing out our failure to continue pushing to talk while we were not talking, but the audience was laughing.
Episode link: A History of Pizza Live at C2E2
- Bendersky, Ari. "Chicago's Deep Dish History: It All Started With Uno's." Chicago Eater. May 8, 2012. http://chicago.eater.com/2012/5/8/6589237/chicagos-deep-dish-history-it-all-started-with-unos
- Daniels, Herb. "What'll you have - pizza or prosperity?" Chicago Tribune. Nov. 1, 1970. http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1970/11/01/page/217/article/whatll-you-have-pizza-or-prosperity
- Turim, Gayle. "A Slice of History: Pizza Through the Ages." History. July 27, 2012. http://www.history.com/news/hungry-history/a-slice-of-history-pizza-through-the-ages
- "Was margherita pizza really named after Italy's queen?" BBC Food. Dec. 28, 2012. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/0/20515123
- Zaino, Caitlin. "The deep rooted history of Chicago's deep-dish pizza." BBC Travel. Oct. 25, 2013. http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20131023-the-deep-rooted-history-of-chicagos-deep-dish-pizza
- "Granatos Pizzeria Napolitana, Established Since 1924 Air Conditioned- 907 W. Taylor Street, Phone Canal 6-9211, Chicago 7, Ill." http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/lakecou02z/id/2728/rec/1
- Ali, Tanveer and Howard Ludwig. "A Guide to Chicago Pizza: From Deep-Dish to Tavern-Style and Beyond." DNA Info Chicago. 1/4/2016. https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150113/chicago/guide-chicago-pizza-from-deep-dish-tavern-style-beyond
- Chicago Tribune. "Who invented deep dish pizza?" 2/18/2009. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-02-18/news/0902180055_1_chicago-pizza-ric-riccardo-pizzeria-uno
- Daniels, Herb. "What'll you have-pizza or prosperity?" Chicago Tribune. Nov. 1, 1970. http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1970/11/01/page/217/article/whatll-you-have-pizza-or-prosperity#text
- Helstosky, Carol. "Pizza: A Global History." Reaktion Books. 2008.
- Levine, Ed. "A Slice of Heaven: A History of Pizza in America." Serious Eats. 2006. http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2006/02/a_slice_of_heaven_a_history_of_pizza_in_america.html
- Royko, Mike. "Real Chicago Pizza Isn't `Chicago Pizza'" Chicago Tribune. 3/25/1993. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-03-25/news/9303250084_1_chicago-pizza-deep-dish-pizza-sewell
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes and the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We're also on Tumblr and Pinterest.