Today's episode is a brief history of makeup, beginning more than 10,000 years ago in and ending with the launch of some of the most famous names in the modern cosmetics industry. One running theme: suffering for beauty in a very real, and sometimes deadly, sense.
Our listener mail is from fashion historian Lauren, with a correction to Bloomers and Beyond.
Episode link: Cosmetics from Ancient Egypt to the Modern World
- Bhanoo, Sindya N. "Ancient Egypt's Toxic Makeup Fought Infection, Researchers Say." New York Times. Jan. 18, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/19/science/19egypt.html?_r=0
- Cosmetics Info. "A History of Cosmetics From Ancient Times." 2013. http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/Ancient-history-cosmetics
- Koren, Marina. "Heavy Metals, Insects and Other Weird Things Found in Lipstick Through Time." Smithsonian. May 3, 2013. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/heavy-metals-insects-and-other-weird-things-found-in-lipstick-through-time-50868685
- ?opaciuk, Aleksandra and Miroslaw ?oboda. "Global Beauty Industry Trends In the 21st Century." Make/Learn International Conference. Zadar, Croatio. June 19-21, 2013. http://www.toknowpress.net/ISBN/978-961-6914-02-4/papers/ML13-365.pdf
- Price, Massoume. "Cosmetics, Styles and Beauty Concepts in Iran." Iran Chamber Society. December 2001. http://www.iranchamber.com/culture/articles/cosmetics_beauty.php
- Rattley, Matt. "Ambiguous Bromine." Nature Chemistry. 4, 512. May 22, 2012. http://www.nature.com/nchem/journal/v4/n6/full/nchem.1361.html
- Romanowski, Perry. "A Cosmetic Industry Overview for Cosmetic Chemists." Chemists Corner. April 14, 2014. http://chemistscorner.com/a-cosmetic-market-overview-for-cosmetic-chemists/
- Spivack, Emily. "The History of the Flapper, Part 2: Makeup Makes a Bold Entrance." Smithsonian. Feb. 7, 2013. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/the-history-of-the-flapper-part-2-makeup-makes-a-bold-entrance-13098323
- Tapsoba, Issa, et al. "Finding Out Egyptian Gods' Secret Using Analytical Chemistry: Biomedical Properties of Egyptian Black Makeup Revealed by Amperometry at Single Cells." Analytical Chemistry. 2010, 82 (2), pp 457-460. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ac902348g?journalCode=ancham
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes and the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We're also on Tumblr and Pinterest.