I chose Luis Alvarez as the subject for an episode because of his work with his son on just what killed the dinosaurs and his 1968 Nobel Prize for physics. I didn't know at the time how many other inventions and discoveries he made during his life, or how he was involved in the Manhattan Project. It became clear almost immediately that we were going to need two episodes to do it all justice. In this episode, we talk about his upbringing and education, his earlier work in theoretical physics and some breakthroughs in radar technology that he had a hand in during World War II.
Our listener mail is from Amanda with a clarification about George Washington's teeth from our ice cream episode.
For more knowledge: How Radar Works
Episode link: Luis Alvarez Part 1
- "Luis W. Alvarez." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. Encyclopædia Britannica Inc., 2013. Web. 23 Aug. 2013. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/18131/Luis-W-Alvarez
- Garwin, Richard L. "Memorial Tribute for Richard Alvarez." Published in Memorial Tributes, National Academy of Engineering, Volume 5, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 1992. http://www.fas.org/rlg/alvarez.htm
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. "Luis Alvarez." http://www.lbl.gov/LBL-PID/Nobelists/LibL_Alvarez.html
- Luis Alvarez - Biographical". Nobelprize.org. Nobel Media AB 2013. Web. 23 Aug 2013. http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1968/alvarez-bio.html
- Notable Twentieth-Century Scientists, Gale, 1995. http://www.gale.cengage.com/free_resources/chh/bio/alvarez_l.htm
- PBS. "Louis Alvarez: 1911-1988." A Science of Odyssey. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/databank/entries/boalva.html
- Science and Engineering Festival. "Luis Walter Alvarez - Physicist, Inventor and Engineer." http://www.usasciencefestival.org/schoolprograms/2014-role-models-in-science-engineering/456-luis-walter.html
- Yarris, Lynn. "Alvarez Theory on Dinosaur Die-Out Upheld: Experts Find Asteroid Guilty of Killing the Dinosaurs." Berkeley Lab. 3/9/2010. http://newscenter.lbl.gov/feature-stories/2010/03/09/alvarez-theory-on-dinosaur/