We got a lot of requests to talk about Krampus this year (probably, at least in part, because of the movie). But we're taking about more than just Krampus this week. Over the next two episodes, we'll talk about a variety of wintertime holiday figures from a number of cultures. Today, we have the alpine Krampus, Italy's La Befana epiphany witch, and the Netherlands' Sinterklaas and his controversial companion Zwarte Piet.
Holly feels bad that we get so many listener mails and don't get to read many, so there are THREE this time, from Matt about Lucretia Mott, from Peter about diving, and from Rai ALSO about diving!
Here's the link to the video mentioned in Peter's email: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAAFczOyLVo
Episode link: The Krampus and Friends Holiday Special, Part 1
- Basu, Tanya and becky Little. "Krampus the Christmas Devil Is Coming to Towns. So Where's He From?" National Geographic. Dec. 22, 2014. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/12/141222-krampus-christmas-devil-demon-krampusnacht/
- Beach, Alexandra. "Embassy hosts traditional Dutch Sinterklaas event in ACT with characters dressed in black face." ABC Australia. Dec. 6, 2015. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-07/embassy-hosts-dutch-sinterklaas-event-with-black-face-costumes/7008374
- "The Befana." Italy Heritage. http://www.italyheritage.com/traditions/christmas/befana.htm
- Bilock, Jennifer. "The Origin of Krampus, Europe's Evil Twist on Santa." Smithsonian. Dec. 4, 2015. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/krampus-could-come-you-holiday-season-180957438/?utm_source=facebook.com&no-ist
- "Christmas in Abruzzo: The Befana." Abruzzo 2000. https://web.archive.org/web/20130313032917/http://www.abruzzo2000.com/abruzzo/traditions/christmas/befana.htm
- Economist. "Is Zwarte Piet racism?" Nov. 2, 2013. http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21588960-debate-holiday-tradition-exposes-racial-attitudes-zwarte-piet-racism
- Johnston, Jules. "Blackface filmmaker calls time on Zwarte Piet." Politico. Dec. 6, 2015. http://www.politico.eu/article/blackface-roger-ross-williams-zwarte-piet/
- Lamb, Robert. "Where did Krampus come from?" Dec. 4, 2015. HowStuffWorks. http://people.howstuffworks.com/culture-traditions/cultural-traditions/where-did-krampus-come-from.htm
- Leopold, Todd. "'Blackface': Dutch holiday tradition or racism?" CNN. Nov. 30, 2015. http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/30/world/blackface-documentary-zwarte-piet-feat/
- Manciocco, Claudia and Luigi. "A Journey Around the Figure of the Befana." Stregheria. http://www.stregheria.com/Befana.htm
- St. Nicholas Center. "Sint in Amsterdam." http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/amsterdam-arrival/
- St. Nicholas Center. "The Continuing Evolution of Zwarte Piet." http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/zwarte-piet/
- Tharoor, Ishaan. "4 reasons to reject the racist Dutch tradition of Zwarte Piet." Washington Post. Dec. 5, 2014. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2014/12/05/4-reasons-to-reject-the-racist-dutch-tradition-of-zwarte-piet/
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes and the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We're also on Tumblr and Pinterest.