Thanks to a request from listener Pallace, today we talk about John Harvey Kellogg, who had some pretty common-sense beliefs about health and wellness. And he had some weird ones. Some really weird ones. Weird even within the context of "health spa." We also discuss Corn Flakes, Grape Nuts and masturbation (or, to be more accurate, the absence of masturbation). On that note, this is the first episode Holly and I have done that required a listener advisory at the start.
Our listener mail is from Ian, who sent cookies. Thanks for the cookies. We at them all, and it's only just now dawning on me that we read a letter about cookies in an episode about a guy who did not approve of sugar. Ian's letter also nods to our Emu War podcast.
For further reading: 10 Accidental Inventions You Won't Believe
A link to the episode: John Harvey Kellogg
My research notes:
- "John Harvey Kellogg." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. Encyclopædia Britannica Inc., 2013. Web. 06 Jun. 2013. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/314401/John-Harvey-Kellogg.
- Fee, Elizabeth and Theodore M. Brown. "John Harvey Kellogg, M.D." American Journal of Public Health. June 2002.
- Grand Rapids Historical Commission. "Electric Light Baths." http://www.historygrandrapids.org/audio/2512/electric-light-baths
- Hotchkiss, Ron. "Kelloggs of Battle Creek." American History. Feb/Mar95, Vol. 29 Issue 6.
- Kellogg, John Harvey. "Electric Light Bath Protocol." http://lifestylelaboratory.com/articles/kellogg-protocols.html
- Kellogg, John Harvey. "The Simple Life in a Nutshell." http://lifestylelaboratory.com/articles/simple-life-nutshell.html
- Lucas, Paul and Maggie Overfelt. "Feeling Boxed IN by His Brother, W.K. Kellogg Invented Corn Flakes, Only to Get Ripped Off by Competitors. But With a Clever Ad Blitz, He Became the Champion of Breakfast." Fortune. 4/1/2003. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fsb/fsb_archive/2003/04/01/341013/index.htm
- New York Times. "J.H. Kellogg Dies; Health Expert, 91." http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/bday/0226.html
- Schaefer, Matthew T. "Finding Aid for John Harvey Kellogg Papers, 1832-1965." Michigan Historical Collections, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. http://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bhlead/umich-bhl-851724?rgn=main;view=text
- Schwartz, Richard W. "Dr. John Harvey as a Social Gospel Practitioner." Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society. Vol. 57, No. 1, Spring, 1964.
- Soniak, Matt. "Corn Flakes Were Invented as Part of an Anti-masturbation Crusade." Mental Floss. http://mentalfloss.com/article/32042/corn-flakes-were-invented-part-anti-masturbation-crusade
- The Adventists. "A Story About Mind, Body and Spirit." http://www.theadventiststhefilm.com/abriefhistory/johnharveykellogg.html