We recorded this episode just after returning from the Independence Day holiday. (Well, just after I returned - I took a little vacation time, and Holly held the fort. Blame all vacation brain on me.) If you were a fan of our previous podcast, PopStuff, this one may remind you a little of our episodes on the culture of coffee, chocolate and Thanksgiving dinner. We take a tour through the history of ice cream (and some of its frozen precursors) and talk a little about the place it's taken in American culture.
Our listener mail is from Lou, who writes about a family history relating to John Harvey Kellogg.
Episode link: We All Scream for Ice Cream
For further reading: How Ice Cream Works
- Audiger, Nicolas. "La Maison reglée, et l'art de diriger la maison." 1692. http://books.google.com/books?id=6zA7AAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Avey, Tori. "Explore the Delicious History of Ice Cream." PBS. The History Kitchen. July 10, 2012. http://www.pbs.org/food/the-history-kitchen/explore-the-delicious-history-of-ice-cream/
- Day, Ivan. "Lady Ann Fanshawe's Icy Cream." Food Hisotry Jottings. April 5, 2012. http://foodhistorjottings.blogspot.com/2012/04/lady-anne-fanshawes-icy-cream.html
- History. "Hands on History: Ice Cream History." http://www.history.com/videos/hands-on-history-ice-cream-history#hands-on-history-ice-cream-history
- "The History of Ice Cream: Who Invented It?" Old Farmer's Almanac. 2004. http://www.almanac.com/content/history-ice-cream-who-invented-it.
- International Dairy Foods Association. "The History if Ice Cream." http://www.idfa.org/news--views/media-kits/ice-cream/the-history-of-ice-cream/
- Krondl, Michael. "Sweet Invention: A History of Dessert." Chicago Review Press. 2011. Pages 157-161. http://books.google.com/books?id=Dt0RErSFvE8C
- Library of Congress. "Jefferson's Recipe for Vanilla Ice Cream." http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/tri034.html
- Stradley, Linda. "Legends and Myths of Ices and Ice Cream." What's Cooking America. http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/IceCream/IceCreamHistory.htm
- Thompson, Mary V. "Ice Cream." George Washington's Mount Vernon. http://www.mountvernon.org/educational-resources/encyclopedia/ice-cream
- "The Origin of Ice-cream." BBC. Sept. 7, 2004. http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/find_out/guides/tech/ice-cream/newsid_3634000/3634978.stm