Of all of Egypt's pyramids, the ones Giza get the bulk of the attention. But those weren't Egypt's first pyramids - the pyramid of Djoser, also known as the step pyramid, is older than all of them. Today we talk about Djoser's line of succession and how his burial place came to be.
Our listener mail is from Carolyn, who wrote to us about Hetty Green.
For more knowledge: How Pyramids Work
Episode link: King Djoser and Egypt's First Pyramid
- Clayton, Peter A. "Chronicle of the Pharoahs." Thames & Hudson. 1994.
- Cook, Ian. "Step Pyramid of Djoser," Ancient History Encyclopedia. Oct.18, 2011, http://www.ancient.eu /Step_Pyramid_of_Djoser/.
- "Djoser." 2015. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/166971/Djoser
- Dunn, Jimmy. "Egypt: Netjenkhet Djoser, the 2nd King of Egypt's 3rd Dynasty." Tour Egypt. http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/djoser.htm#ixzz3TFs3YTMJ
- "Egypt's Oldest Pyramid at Risk and a British Company Has Been Called In to Stop Its Collapse." Cintec Worldwide Press Release. http://www.cintec.com/media/cintec/Djoser%20-%20Facebook1.pdf
- Griggs, Mary Beth. "Restoration Of Egypt's Oldest Pyramid May Be Harming It." Smithsonian. Sept. 4, 2004.http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/restoration-egypts-oldest-pyramid-may-be-harming-it-180952602/#dQYY66vOVV7J8Zfw.99
- "Imhotep." BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/imhotep.shtml
- Incordino, Ilaria. "Chronological problems of the IIIrd dynasty: a Re-examination of the Archaeological Documents." , B.A.R."International Series S1882. Oxford. http://www.academia.edu/1206338/Chronological_problems_of_the_IIIrd_dynasty_a_re-examination_of_the_archaeological_documents_B.A.R._International_Series_S1882._ISBN_9781407302386_Oxford
- Kingsley, Patrick. "Egyptian Heritage Group Raises Concerns Over Djoser Pyramid Restorations." The Guardian. Sept. 12, 2014. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/12/egypt-djoser-pyramid-concerns
- Rice, Michael. "Egypt's Making." Routledge. 2003.
- "Saqqara king List." Pharoah.se. http://pharaoh.se/saqqara-king-list
- "Saving Egypt's Oldest Pyramid." National Geographic Channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvSbtf68AOg#t=249
- "Step Pyramid of Djoser." National Geographic. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/pyramids/djoser.html
- "Step pyramid of Djoser at Saqqara in Egypt is reported damaged during restorations, UNESCO seeks answers." Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Sept. 24, 2014. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-25/egyptian-pyramid-reported-damaged-unesco-investigates/5767536
- Tetlet, M. Christine. "The Reconstructed Chronology of the Egyptian Kings." Pages 205-226. http://www.egyptchronology.com/uploads/2/6/9/4/26943741/ch_15_working_with_egyptian_king_lists.pdf
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes and the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We're also on Tumblr and Pinterest.