Shipwrecks and maritime mysteries are easily among the most popular subjects in the podcast, so today we bring you something sort of shipwreck-adjacent: the disappearance of the Flannan Isles lighthouse-keepers in 1900. It sounds a little like the disappearance aboard the Mary Celeste: an unfinished meal and an overturned chair, but otherwise nothing much disturbed inside the lighthouse. This episode explores the events leading up to the disappearance and what might have happened to the three men.
Our listener mail is about our episode on Pluto from listener Helene.
For more knowledge: How Lighthouses Work
Episode link: The Flannan Isles Disappearance
- Dash, Mike. "The Vanishing Lighthousemen of Eilean Mor." http://www.mikedash.com/assets/files/Vanishing%20Lighthousemen.pdf
- Demetriou, By Danielle. "Missing Lighthouse Keepers Remembered after 100 Years." Telegraph. Dec. 18, 2000. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1378632/Missing-lighthouse-keepers-remembered-after-100-years.html
- Northern Lighthouse Board. "The Mystery of Flannan Isle." http://www.nlb.org.uk/historical/flannans.htm
- Northern Lighthouse Board. "Background Report." http://www.nlb.org.uk/HistoricalInformation/FlannanIsles/Background-Report/
- Northern Lighthouse Board. "Letter From Mr. Moore." http://www.nlb.org.uk/HistoricalInformation/FlannanIsles/Letter-from-Mr-Moore/
- Northern Lighthouse Board. "Report by Superintendent." http://www.nlb.org.uk/HistoricalInformation/FlannanIsles/Report-by-Superintendent/
- Northern Lighthouse Board. "Telegram From Master." http://www.nlb.org.uk/HistoricalInformation/FlannanIsles/Telegram-from-Master/