Great Zimbabwe is the largest ancient structure in sub-Saharan Africa, and from the 11th through 15th centuries, it was a bustling city and a thriving trading hub. But when Europeans first heard of its existence, they were sure it was something completely different — a biblical site not built by Africans.
The video we discussed at the end of the episode about the House of the Seven Gables is at the bottom of this page, below the source list.
Episode link: Great Zimbabwe
- Bent, J. Theodore. " On the Finds at the Great Zimbabwe Ruins (with a View to Elucidating the Origin of the Race that Built Them)." The Journal of the Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland. Vol. 22. 1893. Via JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2842116
- Bent, J. Theodore. "The Ruins of Mashonaland, and Explorations in the Country." Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society and Monthly Record of Geography. Vol. 14, No.5. 1892. http://www.jstor.org/stable/1801545
- Huffman, Thomas N. and J. C. Vogel. " The Chronology of Great Zimbabwe." The South African Archaeological Bulletin, Vol. 46, No. 154. 1991. http://www.jstor.org/stable/3889086
- Joshua Project. "Shona." Accessed 1/12/2017. https://joshuaproject.net/clusters/348
- McIntosh, Roderick J. and David Coulson. "Riddle of Great Zimbabwe." Archaeology, Vol. 51, No. 4 (July / August 1998). Via JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/41771407
- Pikirayi, Innocent. "Great Zimbabwe in Historical Archaeology: Reconceptualizing Decline, Abandonment, and Reoccupation of an Ancient Polity, A.D. 1450-1900." Historical Archaeology. Vol. 47, No. 1. http://www.jstor.org/stable/43491297.
- The Editors of Encyclopedia Britannica. "Great Zimbabwe." Encyclopedia Britannica. November 17, 2011 https://www.britannica.com/place/Great-Zimbabwe
- The Met. "Great Zimbabwe (Eleventh–Fifteenth Centuries)." http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/zimb/hd_zimb.htm
- Tyson, Peter. "Mysteries of Great Zimbabwe." Nova. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/mysteries-of-great-zimbabwe.html
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. "Great Zimbabwe National Monument." http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/364/#media
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. " Khami Ruins National Monument." http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/365#media