So we missed the big 75th anniversary of the Hindenburg disaster - but last year, when that milestone passed, Holly and I weren't on this podcast. And just when it was time to record this episode, I stumbled across this blog post of photos merging modern pictures with historic events. The date of the Hindenburg's crash jumped out at me, thus today's topic.
We have two listener mails in this episode, both from our episodes on Loving v. Virginia parts one and two. The first is from Cameron, a high school teacher who writes about the 14th amendment. The other is from James, who writes about whether the tourism slogan "Virginia is for lovers" is a subtle nod to the case.
Episode link: The Hindenburg Disaster
Here's all my research:
- Navy Lakehurst Historical Society: Hindenburg http://www.nlhs.com/hindenburg.htm
- The Hindenburg's Aluminum Piano http://www.airships.net/blog/hindenburg-piano
- Owen, Jonathan. "Hindenburg Mystery Solved After 76 Years." The Independent. March 3, 2013. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/hindenburg-mystery-solved-after-76-years-8517996.html
- "Hindenburg." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica Online Academic Edition. Encyclopædia Britannica Inc., 2013. Web. 19 Apr. 2013. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/266218/Hindenburg
- "zeppelin." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica Online Academic Edition. Encyclopædia Britannica Inc., 2013. Web. 19 Apr. 2013. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/656592/zeppelin
- "Lakehurst." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica Online Academic Edition. Encyclopædia Britannica Inc., 2013. Web. 19 Apr. 2013. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/328241/Lakehurst.
- "LZ-129: The Latest Airship." Popular Mechanics. 1933. http://books.google.com/books?id=uN4DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA846&dq=Popular+Science+1933+plane+%22Popular+Mechanics%22&hl=en&ei=ajQdTvrsPKbksQKlm8m7CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q&f=true
- Hoehling, A.A. "The Biggest Birds That Ever Flew." Popular Science. May 1962. http://books.google.com/books?id=EiEDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA85&dq=Popular+Science+1933+plane+%22Popular+Science%22&hl=en&ei=6YNiTYP7MoP98AbvtfXRCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAjg8#v=onepage&q&f=true