This episode continues the story of Mildred and Richard Loving and their relationship, which went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, overturning anti-miscegenation laws in 13 states. This episode details the Supreme Court proceedings themselves, and the ruling's effects.
Our listener mail is from Linda, who writes about The Trial of Goody Garlick and some clarity issues about where that story was set.
Our article we referenced: Betrothed through the Century A Timeline of Marriage
Episode link: Loving v. Virginia, Part 2
Here's my research on this one.
- ACLU: Attorney Philip Hirschkop Discusses the Landmark Loving v. Virginia Case http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice/attorney-philip-hirschkop-discusses-landmark-loving-v-virginia-case
- ACLU: Loving v. Virginia: The Case Over Interracial Marriage http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice/loving-v-virginia-case-over-interracial-marriage
- All Things Considered: Loving Decision: 40 Years of Interracial Unions http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10889047
- Biography.com. Mildred Loving. http://www.biography.com/people/mildred-loving-5884
- Gold, Susan Dudley. "Supreme Court Milestones: Loving v. Virginia: Lifting The Ban Against Interracial Marriage." Marshall Cavindish Benchmark. 2008.
- HBO Documentary Films: "The Loving Story" trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62ZBiHNJoM
- Martin, Douglas. "Mildred Loving, Who Battled Ban on Mixed-Race Marriage, Dies at 68" New York Times. May 6, 2008. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/06/us/06loving.html
- Our Documents: 14th Amendment to the Constitution (Civil Rights) http://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=true&doc=43
- Rothman, Lily. "Love Supreme: An Interracial Romance Triumphs in 1960s Virginia." http://life.time.com/history/richard-and-mildred-loving-grey-villet-photos-1966/?iid=lf|moreon#1
- Sheppard, Kate. "'The Loving Story'" How an Interracial Couple Changed a Union." Mother Jones. Feb.13, 2012. http://www.motherjones.com/media/2012/02/the-loving-story-documentary-hbo
- The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law. 29 March 2013. http://www.oyez.org/cases/1960-1969/1966/1966_395
- Wood v. Commonwealth, Virginia Supreme Court http://va.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.19321117_0040015.VA.htm/qx
- REYNOLDS v. UNITED STATES. The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law. 29 March 2013. http://www.oyez.org/cases/1851-1900/1878/1878_0.
- LovingDay: McLaughlin v. Florida http://www.lovingday.org/mclaughlin-v-florida
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes, Stitcher or the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We're also on Tumblr and Pinterest.